LD hernia after breast reconstruction

Hi, I’m new to the forum although I was diagnosed with breast cancer about 18 months ago and had a mastectomy followed by immediate LD flap reconstruction. After about six months I felt really good, back to my old self. But a few months ago I noticed a lump in my LD muscle, presumably the area where the tissue had been taken from to form the new breast.
Initially the two consultants I saw were dismissive of the problem, but finally, when my (rather more sympathetic GP) had referred me, the consultant reluctantly sent me for an ultrasound scan of the area, followed very quickly (!) by an MRI scan which indicated a 7cm hernia. (I phoned up after I hadn’t heard anything about the MRI results after a month and the nurse sheepishly admitted that the details were on my file and they hadn’t looked at it). Also, when I asked what tissue was bulging through the LD tear, the nonchalant reply was just your kidney or large intestine. Hardly reassuring.
Even then nothing was done immediately. At last I was referred to a laparascopic surgeon and I managed to get an earlier appointment to see him by phoning the department and saying I was readily able to attend a cancellation at short notice- I was given this advice by a theatre nurse friend - worth trying if you feel you’re waiting a long time.
The surgeon seems competent - the only problem is that neither he nor anyone else in the hospital has performed a LD hernia repair, and he thought it unlikely that many of these operations had been carried out nationally.
SO I’M ASKING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM - IF SO, WHAT INFORMATION WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO PASS ON PLEASE AS I’M FINDING IT HARD TO FIND ANYTHING OUT ABOUT IT?
I’m also finding that the bulge has become more pronounced and the LD muscle now aches uncomfortably - and even the reconstructed breast hurts (presumably because my brain still thinks it’s part of the LD muscle!). I’m also getting pain down my leg - presumably nerves being pressed on by the LD swelling.
SO - ANY ADVICE PLEASE? THANKS.

Hello mmgevans,
So sorry you have not had any replies yet, and this one isn’t going to help much as although I had an LD flap I have been problem free so far (nearly two years). Hopefully this will BUMP your post up enoguh for someone to spot it who can help.

Hopefully a gentle cyber-hug won’t be too painful for you.

Dear mmgevans

Welcome to the BCC Forum. I hope someone will be able to offer some replies to your specific question.

It may help to also talk things over with someone on our Helpline. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Thanks RevCat - for both you cyber hug and the effort to bump up the post.
I hope someone out there will know something about it! I’m glad you’re happy with your LD flap reconstruction.

Thanks for this - I’ve already contacted them and they suggested I should look on the forum to see whether there was any information about this situation already (I haven’t found any) or post something about it myself.
Can anyone suggest any sites where I may be able to research this - maybe in the States where they seem to be ahead of us in some medical treatments?

Hi

I’d never heard of this (Like RevCat I had an mx and immediate LD flap recon), but I’ve done a bit of digging on the internet and found a snippet of info that may be useful…

http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/elsevier/latissimus-dorsi-flap-herniation-is-it-really-that-rare-f3Emdj0uYK

This letter is from 2011, a group of doctors based in the UK and there is an email address - possibly a starting point for a second opinion?

Your situation does seem to be extremely rare. Wishing you good luck and hope it can be resolved successfully.

Dx

Can you tell me how your hernia was sorted out please as I have lumbar hernia due to LDMF and am worried about the surgery and if it will fix it permanently or if it might recur.
I hope you are well. Xx