lesbians & bisexual women - lymphodoema

post deleted

Hi Norberte
So sorry to hear you have lymphoedema. I think we all live in in fear of this. I gave J a table tennis table and we have been playing the whole festive season. It brought on a large seroma and made me think twice about playing again. We thought I should give up for a while - or go left handed! We were both worried it might lead to lymphoedema so got out the info last night to check. As the months have passed I assumed I had ‘healed’ when we are in fact just a few months post operative. I certainly began to be a little less careful and more casual in lifting things and doing gardening etc. Your news has given me a very timely warning to take things more gently. Not that I think we can in fact avoid these things no matter how healthy and careful we might be - but I can at least try.
Was it a gradual swelling or very sudden - is your hand swollen too and can you still do things - such as toast in the new year.
Allbest wishes
Harebell

Hi N dear

Like Harebell, sorry to hear that you now have lymphoedema – it can be a very tricky condition to deal with, but usually responds well to wearing the (awfully ugly) compression sleeve. And there are exercises and special massage to be tried as well. Or ignoring it, as I do these days – not really recommended, but sometimes the only way to reduce the impact and constant reminder of BC when you have secondaries. My lymphoedema arrived TEN YEARS after my lumpectomy surgery, so please no one get too complacent about this sneaky condition. There is lots of info and advice in the lymphoedema section of these forums – do see if you can find posts from the very sadly much-missed “bahons2”, who was our resident expert and heroic campaigner on all things lymph.

Love, Marilyn x

post deleted

Hi there, I’ve been submerged in families of chosen and biological types for a few weeks and thought I’d emerge and check on everyone. Really sorry to hear about you lymphoma Norberte, and really useful to hear the good advice of others…
thank you all
…I know I can be complacent/slapdash about arm care but then catch myself and realise as with every sort of good health, if you have it, enjoy it and do what you can to retain it, but accept sometimes there is nothing to be done…really annoying tho eh, I still can’t get used to not being a well ,fit and able person, but am working on “normalising it” …yes you spotted it , I am having some counselling, which is actually very very helpful.
Was listening to the cricket which I totally love cos its so wierd, but then breast cancer appears again in the form of their pink day in memory of Jane McGrath…very good fundraiser but is there nowhere we can turn without breast cancer in our faces…it set me off on a real downer
back to work now with a vengance which is really tiring
best to you all in the new year, Nicola

post deleted

Hi Norberte can I crash into this thread please. I went on a BCC seminar thingy late last year and they had a lymphoedema nurse doing a talk she suggested a lymph sleeve applicator that is available (just) on prescription I understand that you have your wife to help but sometimes there are perhaps times when getting the sleeve on alone would be helpful? Sorry I cannot remember the name of this but think it was a Medi-plast product will try to find my notes/google this.Jackie

Ahhh - Sleeve-helper thing I was given a few years ago is an “easy Slide”, made by a firm called Arion (arion-group.com). It’s a red, double-layered open-ended soft plastic bag that you slip onto your arm and then slide the compression sleeve over it, pulling it out of the sleeve once you have it in place. A bit of faf, but much easier than wrestling with the compression sleeve on its own. It’s made in the Netherlands, and distributed in the UK by a firm called Credenhill Ltd. Let me know if you need more details and I’ll pm them to you.
Marilyn x

post deleted

Ha-ha-ha-ha . . . . *pigs flying* . . . xx

post deleted

post deleted

I’ve been wondering the same thing as you about the exercises. I’ve been so good and doing them every day now except when I was ill on chemo for 18 months now. I was thinking whether I’d actually carry on like that.
How about the self lymph drainage massage - do you do that every day?

I have other exercises for my back and neck and along with all the above, it seems to take forever!

Sorry Norberte to hear about the cellulitis, hope it clears up soon.

post deleted

Glad to hear it wasn’t cellulitis. Thanks for those exercises too - they seem similar to exercises I do in yoga class but didn’t realise they were good for circulating lymph. I’ll try to incorporate them into my daily routine!

post deleted