Letrozole side affects

I was diagnosed April of 2012 with breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy done and some nodes removed. Only one of those had a slight trace of cancer in it. I was told that if this had been five years ago that the cancer wouldn’t have been detected in it at all. Then I decided,after hearing what type, t2 about the size of a walnut, ans estrogen positive that I didn’t want chemo but would go with radiation and the drug therapy after.
So I did and started taking tamoxifen. Which seemed okay for about four months. Then I came down with a horrible case of diverticulitis which I had never had before. Anti biotic after antibiotic and gut wrenching pain! So I taled to my regular Dr. Who sent me to my oncologist who said he had never heard of anyone getting this because of the drug. But that’s not true, I found out some info on the Mayo clinics site that said it’s rare but does happen. I was told to keep taking tamoxifen. I finally had it with pain so just stopped taking it. The tummy pain cleared up. Off it for six months then the oncologist said we would try something different. Letrozole. Been on it six months and now going through another bout with the gut pain again, hurts so bad you give up eating. Also have terrible lower back pain that even oxycodone doesn’t help. So I’m going to see what people here have done and then try to figure out if I should just stop the drugs and get on with life. Sorry this is so long but I’m desperate.

Dee

Hi Deidre

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies could I suggest you give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with them about your concerns, they’re here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Also, you may find you get more replies if you post again in the ‘Undergoing treatment - chemotherapy’ area of these forums.  This area of the forum is much more busier than the area you have posted in.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator