Life Mel honey

Hi,

Sorry to post another message re. honey!

I recently bought the Life Mel honey for my mum which I read about here and she has been taking it twice a day. I’ve read very good things about this and have tried to get cofirmation that it is ok to take whilst on Chemo. It states on the Life Mel website that

“it is made by honey bees fed on a specially formulated diet which includes selected herbs such as Siberian Ginseng, Echinacea and Uncaria Tomentosa. Life Mel is natural product and no ingredients are added after extraction from the hive”.

Although the honey is a natural product, it’s the herbs that we are getting conflicting info on - Siberian Ginseng, Echinacea and Uncaria Tomentosa? I read today on the CancerUk website that “herbal remedies such as garlic, ginkgo, echinacea, ginseng, kava and St John’s Wort can interact with cancer treatments”

Maybe we are worrying too much? Is it all a scam? Anyone heard you shouldn’t take it?

Thank again

Not a scam but definitely a waste of money- in my opinion!

Hi london09

If you are all concerned about even natural products, it’s always best to check with your medical team before using. Alternatively, please feel free to give the helpline a call to discuss this with them.

The number is 0808 800 6000.

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Hi London09,

I bought LifeMel Honey just before my chemo started. I am having x3 FEC and x3 Tax. I phoned the pharmacy information helpline at the hospital where I am treated to check whether it was ok to take. They had never heard of it, but looked into it. They thought that some of the herbs (didn’t say which ones) may interact with FEC - so I didn’t take it. However I rang them again and they seemed to think it would be ok to take with Tax which is what I am doing. The honey is ridiculously expensive at £39 for a small pot but if it does do anything to boost white cells and my non-existant immune system then I am all for it. The trouble is I don’t think I will ever know if it is going to help or not but quite frankly I feel as though I need all the help I can get at the moment!! Interestingly one of the girls on another thread that I am on has taken it all the way through FEC and her white cells and neut’s have been fine all the time.
Could be a placebo effect - who knows? but I have decided to give it a go.
Not sure if this really helps!!

Thanks Linbin yes your reply did help. I guess my mum will just have to decide whether to continue or not. I will perhaps speak to the oncologist. thank you though and hope your treatment is going ok.