Living with pleural chest drain

Hi Sarahlew, glad yours is out now - good luck with the new treatment! I hope you are well xxx. Ive had my drain in for a week now, following 2 failed attempts. Unfortunately my pleura is pretty septated now & i think the drain is only draining the pocket it is in, as only getting 300mls off when i drain it & there is more than that in there. I’m hoping to get back to work with it in - I’m a midwife on labour ward. I’m only on Letrozole at the mo, but think i will need to change to chemo to get this fluid under control. Have had 3 chest drains & a pleurodesis in the last 3 months - draining 2 litres each time. My kids are 14, 13 & 7 and my husband also has cancer, so hoping i can get this fluid sorted without having to keep going back into hospital!
Thanks for your original post on this thread - it was wonderful & made me feel so much more hopeful!! Thank you so much xxxxx.

Hi! Lovely to hear from you Agy & Vicky77! Xxx.

Hi all hope everyone had a good Christmas. Vicky I had a rocket drain for 18 months and used to find i would start coughino when draining the fluid it would start when the fluid stopped draining - the pleura sticks to chest wall when dry which caused the cough. The cough would ease after a few minutes of completing draining so wasn’t persistent . Has the fluid become a lot less. I would speak to your respiratory team if your cough is persistent. Take care sarah x

Glad your cough is easing now Vicky. I also had an infection around the drain site 2 weeks of oral flucloxacillin cleared it up pretty quickly - hope it gets sorted soon for you x