living with secondary breast cancer

Hi, my name is Diane, I have been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in January 2012, I had a pain in my thigh, which didn’t go away, it was there over Christmas, nobody tells ladies who have had primary breast cancer, that if you get any pain in your limbs that persist for longer than two weeks to get them check out, I only found this out in a leaflet about secondary breast cancer, after I was diagnosed. I thought if was muscle trouble which I was also told it was at my local A&E. After scans and investigations, I was told that it had gone into my Brain, spine, hip and femar. I have had Radiotheraphy and am now on Chemotheraphy,I have also got a discharge coming from my breast, the district nurse comes twice a week, I just wondered if any one else has got this problem with the breast as I don’t seem to be getting any answers about this,the discharge is very offensive. I’m just living for today and as I tell everyone, I’m not dying with cancer I’m living with cancer.Keep strong everyone and stay positive xxx

Hi Jenjam,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good support from the many informed users of this site, many of whom have first hand experience of secondary breast cancer and have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also the helpline team are here to support you if you need to talk to someone in confidence. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-bcc58

Secondary resource pack:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-resource-pack-bcc173

Support:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-people-living-secondary-breast-cancer-sm25

I hope this helps. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi,
So sorry to hear your dx, I weas dx bone mets May 2010 10 1/2 years after my primary dx. I had been complaining for 12-18 months about back/rib pain to no avail,so think medics need to be more informed about it too.
Can’t help with your discharge problem I’m afraid but if it is worrying you and you aren’t geting an answer from district nurse maybe you could contact your hospital team?
It is a horrible place to be in, but you are quite right, it is imporytant to see ourselves as ‘living with cancer’.Keep positive and good luck x

Hi, I have just found these forums, and I can see that I am going to be spending a lot of time here! It is so comforting to read about others in a similar position to me.

Diane, like you, I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer when I had a pain in my leg which wouldn’t go away. I had started running again and thought I had pulled something. After several weeks under a physio, they suggested I see a rheumatologist as nothing was getting better. He sent me for an x-ray and that was when they saw the shadow on my knee. After MRI and CT scans I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in January 2010 - on my partner’s birthday, no less! It is in my bones in the neck, spine and knee as well as my lung and liver!

Like you, I wish I had known that the pain could have been cancer - I never suspected, though my partner later admitted that he did, which was why he was pushing me to see the rheumatologist when I wasn’t so bothered!

I had radiotherapy in early 2010 and Zometa 4 weekly, plus tamoxifen. In late 2010 we found the Tamoxifen wasn’t working so I was switched to Avatin and put on weekly chemo until August, since then I have been put on 2 weekly chemo for the forseeable future.

I have just gone back to work, phasing in at 3 days per week, after a year off, so things are looking up!

Sorry for the thread jack - I look forward to your replies, as your diagnosis sounded so much like mine! Good luck!

Nicky
Xx