Looking after an implant

I had an implant and stratice mesh in November.

It has taken a while to settle into me and for me to not reject it - still working on that.

BUT are there any ideas for looking after one - to ensure it lasts longer than a shorted amount of time.  My plastic surgeon said they last between 10 and 20 years.  When i asked him how i could keep mine for 20 - he exploded and said he did not know, but probably not playting rugby, taking up karate or going on energetic fairground rides would bew a good place to start.  So no sensible clues really.

As i had lymph nodes removed too, am also contemplating life taking precautions against developing lypmpohoedema.

So I am discovering a new normal - not really expected as all this has come as shock.

Hello Helenbythesea

While you are waiting for replies maybe you could give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are there to support you, lines are open again in the morning and normal hours are to Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I can’t answer that question.  I just know I don’t like mine. I can feel my muscle moving my implant and also it looks as if the implant has moved to the side. I’m trying to get my BMI down so that my plastic surgeon will do the DIEP procedure.

I was told tthat the implant can last 10 years but i wasn’t told that I needed to do anything in particular to make it last longer.  Sorry I know thats not the answer you want hopefully someone else will be able to help