Looking for support group in Glasgow

Hi I’m Janice, 39 year old mum of 10yr old. Diagnosed in May this year and I’m looking for any BC support groups in Glasgow for younger women as there seems to be a shorage or I’m just not hearing about them??

Really appreciate all the help I get from reading the great advice here, but would love to be able to meet up with other mums in my area. With friends and family all at work every day and daughter at school, find myself with lots of free time between treatments during the day and dont know what to do with myself!!

Any info much appreciated, thanks.

Janice

Janice

I am 41 also from Glasgow diagnosed Aug this year, i have a 7 and a 10 year old, both girls. I am trying to work through my chemo so my days are still busy at present but that may change, i have only had one cycle. If there was a support group for younger women in the area i would be interested. Everything is still so new that i don’t think i have taken it all in.

I haven’t yet dropped into the Maggies centre but thought i might give it ago and see what is going on. i spoke to them on the phone and they were very supportive. If i find anything out i will let you know.

Take care

Lesley

Dear Janice and Lesley

I thought you may find of interest the Younger Women’s Forum that is taking place in Glasgow on the 2nd and 3rd of November.

The Forum provides information and the chance to meet others in similar circumstances.
These are two-day residential programmes, with 15-40 women attending.

The programme includes sessions on:

medical update from an oncologist
managing side effects of treatment
update on diet and lifestyle.
Participants also take part in discussion groups, choosing from:

sexuality and intimacy
fertility and pregnancy concerns
lymphoedema

For more information telephone 0845 077 1892 or email <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%73%63%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%73%63%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script> or use the link breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=1944

Kind Regards
Sam
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Lesley

Great to hear from you. Dont know how you’re managing all this at the same time, power to you. I had loadsa friends around during the school hols as they work term time, but now they’re back too. I’ve dropped into Maggies a few times, did Look Good Feel Good which was good, but I never seem to call at a good time (sometimes feel as if I’m intruding, not their fault, place is always busy and everyone knows each other, guess I’m feeling a bit shy about it). Molly there said some women with school kids have an informal coffee session on a Tuesday morning, but I havent been yet. Are you up for it, or will you be working then?

I had 4th chemo today and am finding it harder as it goes on (hope this doesnt happen to you). Gonna call about the residential thing in October, only worried about childcare, being there for 2 days. How to get Jen to dance class, etc. Let me know if you’re considering it. Will prop be best chance yet to meet local fellow BCs.

Take care x

Janice

Janice

Good to hear from you, my work is being really good so if i want to drop in to Maggies on a Tuesday i can get the time. I can’t go next week and i have my onc appointment at 10 on the 18th before my next chemo. It would be could to catch up with others in a similar situation.

Juggling everything is proving challenging, like you both my daughters dance and they also do the gymnastics, brownie and swimming thing. Relatives are helping out and my hubbie has been doing more but i don’t know how long i can keep everything going for. I want things to be as normal for the kids as possible but something may have to give. My daughters are dreading my hair loss possibly even more that me, how did your daughter cope?

Yesterday was one of those bad days, my router for the inter-net at home has decided to stop working after 3 months. The router company wont admit its the router and the Internet provider says the line is fine. I am taking it back to the shop at lunch time but who knows how far i will get. My husband has visions of me either getting arrested or some poor boy in the shop ending up with a router in an uncomfortable place.

I know it seems a little thing, but not getting online at home to either chat or order my shopping was the last straw, so a bit of tearful night was had after the kids went to bed. I can see the funny side of it this morning and hopefully today will be a better day.

I think i will find out more details about the 2 day residential but i have chemo on Wednesday of that week so i don’t know how realistic it will be.

Let me know when you plan to go to Maggies and i will arrange to go at the same time, at least we will be two people not knowing anyone.

Take care

Lesley
x

Look on the Maggie’s Centre website… it mentions a Young People’s Group from 18.30 to 20.30 on a Tuesday evening… held once a month. It does say that you need to pre-book…I suppose that it could be for all types of cancer, but surely there would be others with breast cancer. May be worth looking into. I’ve only been to the Maggie’s Centre once, to the “Look Good, Feel Better” course - not sure how I’d feel in a big discussion group - would prefer a smaller group, but then you don’t know til you try. I’m 44 years old so at the upper end of the “Young” group, but don’t consider myself to be anything other than young!.. diagnosed in April and halfway through chemo now… whew! Then 6 weeks of radiotherapy. No kids 'though… just a dog to look after! :slight_smile:

Best of luck with your treatment… looking back, the time has flown by, 'though it doesn’t feel it at the time.

AliS