Losing finger and toe nails

Hi everyone. I’m writing on behalf of my sister to ask if anyone can suggest anything to help with nail loss or, more precisely, the pain involved in this unexpected side effect. She finished her chemo in April and has had her reconstruction - then, just when we hoped things might be starting to level out, she started to lose her finger and toe nails. She is finding it really painful and debilitating -any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you! Debbie xx

Hi Debbie, I finished chemo on 3 May and my finger nails are lifting at the tops ? I’m putting a base coat, 2 coats of colour and a top coat of nail polish on them to make them stronger so I’m just hoping they stay put until the new growth at the base has grown through.
I’m having to be really careful, so wear cotton gloves while doing general housework and rubber gloves where necessary.
I think it might get to the stage where I need to put plasters over them too!!
The only positive I can think of is I’ve been told them if I do lose them, they grow back quickly - here’s hoping!!
Loads of good luck and live to your sister (and to you too
Kim xxx

Hi Debbie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. That must be awful. I had a friend who was experiencing something similar perhaps not quite as severe. I did some research for her and we found onicolife drops. We used them before the chemo and they were quite effective. I’m not totally sure what you can do after they have fallen off. I know it’s not much help but they will grow back in the end.  We got them from Live Better With. I’m not sure how to add links but if you can’t find it let me know and I will try to figure it out. Thinking of your sister. Claire