Lump in neck - thyroid

Hello

I was diagnosed in March 2008 with invasive lobular cancer with no node involvement. Finished treatment in December 2008 - mx, chemo, rads. On tamoxifen for next 5 years.

I have now found a lump at the front of my neck. It is situated on the right hand side at the bottom just above the v in my collarbone. It is largish, is tender to touch and moves when I swallow. I have no other symptoms and feel well generally.

I am unable to see my gp until next week but of course I am terrified this is something sinister and I wondered if any other ladies had experienced anything similar.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes

KLizz

Hi KLizz

I noticed that you haven’t had any replies to your post.

I’m not in your situation and so don’t have anything I can say except keep positive and try not to worry yourself sick about it, it might be nothing to do with BC.

God bless and love to you,

Take care

Jan xxx

Hi KLizz,
I had the same diagnosis as you but a month later apart from I had one node involvement. All as I can say is to repeat what Jan has said and to think positive an annoying word I know,we hear it so many times but it does help and to try and keep busy until you see your GP.

Best wishes

Gilly x

Hi Klizz

It sounds like you’re having a pretty tough time at the moment. May I suggest you give the BCC helpline a call as here you can share your fears and concerns with one of our trained members of staff.

The helpline will be open again tomorrow from 9am to 2pm and the number is 0808 800 6000.

BCC are here to support you so please do call if you think it may help.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Thank you for your kind words of support. When you think it is all over there is always something to worry about, particularly in these early days following the end of treatment.

I managed to get an emergency appointment to see my doctor and it appears that I have a lump on my thyroid gland. She thinks it is a side effect of the treament but has contacted my oncologist as it needs to be checked out. I’ve read on the internet that many women have problems with their thyroid either pre or post breast cancer. It appears that most lumps are benign but there are always some that are not… I am choosing to stay positive until I get the results of the tests I am likely to have in the near future.

Are there any other women who have experienced similar thyroid problems post treatment?

Best wishes

KLizz

Hi Klizz
I have an underactive thyroid. It was diagnosed 5 years before bc diagnosis and I have just posted a question about diet and the thyroid.
Have you been to see your onc yet? I hope it all gets sorted for you

Hi Klizz

I had an overactive thyroid two years before bieng diagnosed with BC. I did start a thread some time ago asking whether thyroid problems are commonplace amongst BC patients and I got quite a few replies.

Ask to see someone urgently if you are really worried.

with love Wzz

Hi Klizz,

Yup, same position as you. Surgery, chemo, radio all over and on Herceptin. Started to feel a little better, then went backwards. Overactive thyroid diagnosed, put on Carbimazole and had CT and Ultrasound Biopsy “given your history”. 7 months after diagnosis of o/active thyroid was given Radioactive Iodine treatment (1 capsule) and now have bloods tested every 2 months as it’s likely that I’ll end up going under-active and need Thyroxine.
It’s really the last thing we need after all the cancer treatment c…p.Good luck with all the tests.

Hi Klizz,

I have posted also in the last couple of weeks"one breast bigger with thickening". I went to my gp in Sept 08, I was very tired and felt a lump in my throat. He ran some blood tests and it came back with unactive thyroid, dr started me on 50mg of Eltroxin But in Dec 08 my left breast got bigger(was a C cup and went up to a D plus)but only on the left size??? Left breast now feels different from the right(thickening on the left) i think. I have appt to see breast spec. on Wednesday 15th April. I have read many many times on this site about breast cancer / thyroid problems. I am so nervous about Wednesday. Is there a connection?

Mim

Hi Klizz,

What did your Lobular Breast Cancer feel like? Did you find it or did your dr. I have no lumps only thickening. There are long vein(thicker than a vein) type things coming from the thickening!!!There is not much about Lobular Breast Cancer on the internet. What to look for, how does it feel, etc. I hope you will be fine and I will be thinking of you.

Mim

Thank you all for you responses.

Mim - I am sorry you are going through the mill at the moment. When I found my cancer my breast around the nipple area was inverted. Lobular often goes undetected for some time as it doesn’t present itself as a lump and mine was 6.7 c.m. when diagnosed but fortunately hadn’t spread.

I can’t comment on your symptoms as mine were different. I have read that some think there is a link between thyroid problems and breast cancer but as with all these things your symptoms could be something else unrelated to breast cancer. Hope that all goes well at your appointment on Wednesday.

Best wishes

KLizz

Hi KLizz

Just to say I was diagnosed with under active thyroid about 9 years before diagnosis of Lobular cancer. I had a lump appear in my neck and was duly sent off to have tests which revealed Hashimoto’s disease. I have been on thyroxine ever since and all ok. Re the lobular cancer there was absolutely no way I would have found it - there was no lump or outward signs of abnormality - it was picked up on my second three yearly mammogramme 4.5 cms - even when diagnosed it was difficult to find - had an MRI in the end. I’m doing fine now after WLE chemo and rads and tamoxifen for 5 years.

Hope you manage to see someone/onc quickly - the waiting is horrible.

Take care.

Val