Lung mets - please join in

Hi,
was originally diagnosed in 2007 with g3 bc, had a lumpectomy then had to have further clearance, followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy, 2009 had local recurrence and had to have a mastectomy, no chemotherapy but zolodex and arimadex. All going well until I thought I’d pulled a muscle at the gym, turned out my left lung was filling with fluid, oncologist said it was nothing when I first complained about it!! In January had a in dwelling catheter fitted in the left lung and put on more chemotherapy which I have just finished on Wednesday, resuming the rolodex and femara in a month , the good news is that the lung is totally clear as I had a ct scan a month ago to check that the chemotherapy was working. Originally my oncologist said that if it doesn’t work I would have less than 12 months, if it did work I would have maybe 4/5yrs left, devastated, only 42 with a 5 yr old, trying to look to the future, it’s good to see the support on this site but not many with lung mets.

Jill

Hi Jill

I have lung, liver and bone mets, secondaries diagnosed October 2009 and I was told I could have less than 12 months. I know it is horrendous but…I have been fortunate and each of my chemos so far has worked. Take heart, there are lots of different treatments available now and I for one am confident that they will find something to stop this awful disease before it finishes me off.

Easy to say I know but, keep yourself as well as you can, spend your time with the people you love and try and do something nice every day. If you can keep yourself pain free then you can almost forget about it sometimes.

Best wishes and a cyber hug on its way to you.

Sue x

Hi All!!

Tilly and Marina - thank you for your good wishes. Feel quite calm at the moment - hope this lasts through the night!! The cyberknife sounds esciting - unfortunatley I have too many mets and am pining hopes on chemo - Taxol and Avastin (TNBC). With the medics help, we CAN control this disease!

Jill - so pleased your lung is clear at the moment - great news. I hope you can look forward a little now!

Sue - Some good advice!! ‘Something nice every day’ = today I watched Dr Who with my 11 year old almost on my lap hiding under a blanket! So much fun!! I wirte a ‘diary’ every night and note the good things I did - just a few lines. Helps me be positive and sleep well!

CT and MRI results tomorrow - fingers, toes and everything else crossed for me and other playing the waiting game. It will be nice to have confirmation this IS WORKING - there is no other option!!

Cyber hugs to all

Sadie Xx Xx

hi everybody, good to hear from other lung mets women. I’ve got a scan coming up on Thursday to see if current chemo is working-haven’t tried avastin yet and wondering how other people are getting prescribed it? Good luck to everybody waiting for results.
love nicky

Morning all,

Sadie thinking of you today,everything crossed for you, dol hope you have good results. Good luck with your scan on Thursday Nicky lets hope the current chemo is working for you.

Hope everyone is feeling well today.

Love Marina x

Morning ladies, just a quickie to wish Sadie good luck today and to Nicky on Thursday with scan results, lets stick together and give each other support through this ,Cyber hugs to all XX
Jean

Hi all just wanted to wish all the ladies going for scans gd luck mine is next month hoping chemo as worked hope all is well tc Laura

HI - Fab scan news!! Chemo is working - all nodes in my lungs reduced or gone. No new areas of concern!! I am delighted!! I can stay on Avastin / Taxol until either disease progresses considerably or SE become too much!! So will carry on doing what im doing and keep going. I am thrilled!! How clever is that???

Hugs to all - esp scan waiting ladies and others on Taxol / Avastin!! What a wonderful day!!

Sadie Xx Xx

Yes yes yes and yes - this is the sort of news we like! I am so pleased for you
How do you feel about staying on the taxol/avastin - do you feel you can cope with the SEs?
For every ache and pain I get, I see it as the chemo munchkins nibbling away at the bad bits - they’ve obviously been nibbling in your lungs to good effect!!!

I have my 9th Taxol and Avastin this week and then have my scan. I don’t want to tempt fate, but the lump on my neck has reduced significantly and the one in my breast I can’t feel. I’ll be more than happy if he says I have to continue on Taxol/Avastin.

Once again - brilliant news and keep those positive thoughts flowing
Linda
x

Super news Sadie - delighted for you and hope you are relaxing and celebrating!! It’s great to hear this positive news of treatments working.

Great news Sadie, really thrilled for you. A nice glass of bubbly and then get on with enjoying life as much as you can. Good luck to everyone else waiting for results.

Love Marina x

Great news Sadie!! so pleased for you, you must be so relieved, It really is good to hear that treatments working it gives me hope that mine will too.
Jean

Great news Sadie. I am so pleased for you.
nicky

Thank you all so much for your enthusiastic support! I am still DELIGHTED!!

Linda - the thought of staying on the Taxol / Avastin long term is only just sinking in. I not sure how long I can stay on it for…I feel a new post coming on!! I certainly feel a few breaks are needed and am having a week off next week (to watch my son be Oliver in the school play of Oliver!). A few more weeks off like this will keep me going. At the moment, I just feel I want to stay on it as long as I can as I know it is working - but it will be hard! The neuropathy and sore nails have started to kick in.
I do hope your Taxol / Avastin is working well too. It will be interesting to see how your scans are - I really do hope they are good! Really really do hope! It will be interesting to hear what your consultants say. What date is your scan - must be soon! Hugs!

Smiles to all…

Sadie Xx Xx

Hi Ladies

I was diagnosed with lung mets on Christmas Eve, just had seven cycles of capecitabene alongside my Herceptin. Last scan shows no new tumours but my existing tumours have grown a little, so I am changing to Vinorelbine and lapatanib.

I was surprisingly calm at the news! Anyone got any experience of these drugs?

I would welcome any advice, I am keeping myself fit swimming every day, I actually feel better now that I have done for a very long time. Managing to swim a mile a day now, I was told swimming is a good aid to support lung function - anyone else trying it?

This thread is really great, I know so few ladies with lung mets.

Best wishes and hugs to all xx

Sadie isnt it interesting how diff hos do diff things I’m having caboplatain/ taxol for lung mets my onc sd I will only be on it for 6 cycles then they will scan me and just kp a eye on me no word of any long term treatment mind u I’m not complaining the se are awful round 2 today tc all Laura xx

Sadie - do I sense we have a star in the making?? You must be very proud of your son being the lead role - how wonderful. I don’t have children myself but I love to hear what my friends children are up to. I think children get such ‘bad press’, so its great to hear the good things.
Its difficult to say you want a break from chemo when you know its working, but on the flip side it would be nice to have that break. I’m sure once you’ve had your ‘week off’ you’ll feel recharged to take on another round1

Laura - I agree with what you’ve said about different hospitals and different treatments - you can’t help but think its all a bit of a lottery/guessing game (although if they get things right - they can pick what they want!_

sallyspoon5 - Sorry I can’t add anything about the drugs you’re on - its all a bit new to me - but I’m sure someone will come along and offer assistance.
Your excercise regime has just put me to shame - I really must get off my bottom and do a bit more!

Anyhow - I must stop gatecrashing this thread. Unfortunately with my BC in my neck, I’m a bit in no mans land, so hope you don’t mind me popping in and out of different threads.

Off now for my weekly chemo (oh joy)
Speak soon

Linda
x

Hi all,

Linda, you are very welcome. Your neck is near your lungs nd you are one of the few people on the same treatment as me so i really value your input!! Hope today goes well. Have you got a line in or weekly needles? My Son loves drama, it will be so nice to watch the production with a clear head. More important than a week off for a holiday!!

Laura, Yes, a lottery!! But also must be the type of cancer. I am trip neg, but i think you are too?? All very confusing. I just hope all the chemos work for us, but in diffrtent ways. Sorry the SE are bad, really no fun chemo fog!!

SSp5, Hi!!! Wow, your swimmimg is fantastic! Well done. I dont know anything about the drugs, Sorry! Sorry you are here, but welcome!! I like this thread too!! All friendly with mutual support!

I can feel chemo fog coming, walls started to move so best find something to hold on to!!

Hugs to all.

Sadie Xx Xx

Hi all on here (hope you don’t mind me popping on!),

Just wanted to say Well Done to Sallyspoons for your swimming regime - that is inspiring! I did a bit of swimming last week on hols and really enjoyed it - I used to be quite a good swimmer as a child/teenager. I also feel that it may help my lymphoedema arm as well as general fitness and weight loss. I (shamefully) weigh 15 stone, but am finding it difficult to stick to a weight loss plan as I get so weak and dizzy with my anti-deps. Just got to get on with it! - Thanks again for that!

All the best, Sarahx

PS Good luck to your son, Sadie, for his starring role - brilliant!

Sadie - Just back from chemo - unfortunately I’m still having it by cannula/needle - although each week seems to get harder to find a vein. I’ve also developed a rash on my hand - we think I’ve become sensitive to the plasters.
I haven’t got a date for scan, but expect it next week. I’m sensing from the Onc nurse that like you I might just be expected to carry on with Avastin and Taxol - but I’ll wait and see and send you an update.
I can’t remember - are you like me and going private? i have to say each invoice that lands on my door step I have a panic attack at the cost and pray my insurance company will continue to pay out.

Laura - I’m also triple neg, so it will be really interesting to see what plans they ahve for us all.

Sarah - you sound like things have been tough on you - have you been on anti deps for a long time? I’m sending you a gentle cyber hug

Off for a snooze now - the cold cap makes me so drowsy.

Linda;) x