Lymph nodes - after surgery

travel tips Hi Nicky

Like you I was advised to take antibiotics with me, which I did, no problem getting them from the GP. This way you can take them immediately if you should get bitten, scatched etc. and BEFORE any serious inflammation appears. As to flying, this does carry a risk. I think you should be ok as you already wear a sleeve. I took a sleeve with me - just in case of extra swelling - but thankfully did not need it. Yes, do drink plenty of water and do move your arm around a lot, it’s the immobility with flying as well as the air pressure that can cause problems apparently.

Be aware of sunburn - so extra suncream and avoid mosquito bites etc. I had a great holiday last year, although I must admit I was very careful and would not go in the water on days that they had jelly fish! I also was careful not to swim in very rocky areas as I did not want to risk falling over and/or sratching myself.

Your holiday sounds brilliant - enjoy!

Birgit

One of the ladies I was in hospital with last year had drainage problems with her arm and was advised by the Consultant we are both under that it would be better for her if she resumed going to the gym. She is also going to Florida for a holiday. The Consultant is all for people getting back to normal. I haven’t had any lymphodema problems, but I do get a tightness in the upper arm from time to time which then starts to make my neck and shoulder area ache. I bought an ergonomic pillow to try the other week and this helps.

Thanks Cherub I wonder if different Consultants have different views about the gym, to tell you the truth im quite worried about it and at 36 I dont want to end up with a huge arm so im being careful but then again once i have recovered from surgery i want to enjoy myself and feel sexy again, just wish i could take another tablet to stop it happening.

thanks all for advice.

Tracey
xx

advice I too am thinking of going back to the gym as I want to get the weight I’ve put on since dx and treatment over the last year off before our holiday. I asked the lymphoedema nurse what I should/shouldn’t do and her advice was to just try stuff, gently at first, and just build it up if it doesn’y make the swelling worse. Apparently what affects some people others cope with fine. I guess it’s just about being sensible and listening to your body.

Thanks for your good wishes and advice Birgit, I can’t wait for this trip! Doing Route 66 on a Harley has been my dream since I saw Easy Rider as a teenager, can’t believe I’m doing it in my fifties!!

Nicky x

FOR NICKYC Nicky, you said in a previous post you have lymphoedema in the breast. Can you tell me what symptoms you have and how you manage it please. I rang my BC nurse but she said just because I get a bra imprint in my breast doesnt mean its lymphoedema and not to worry…My arm is fine.

thanks
Suzanne
x

Hi Suzanne The breast lymphoedema started after I’d finished radiotherapy. I was in a lot of pain, mostly concentrated in the outside of the breast and radiating up to the area under the underarm scar. I was in so much pain (much worse than immediately after the surgery) I rang the breast care nurse who arranged for me to see the surgeon, who referred me for an ultrasound. The radiologist confirmed that there were pockets of fluid trapped between the layers of scar tissue.

The pain is a lot better now but still present, combined with some swelling in the outside of the breast and at the side where your bra goes. which seems to emphasise the really noticeable large “hole” where the lymph nodes were removed, which eveyone I’ve seen medically since has commented on. I find it hard to get a comfortable bra. It feels very much like when I was breast feeding the kids and the breasts were engorged. I am stll having regular periods and the symptoms get much worse the week before my period.

I know there have been other threads on breast lymphoedema over the past few months, you could try putting it into the search box at the top.

Best wishes,

Nicky x

disability i was told that people with breast cancer are classed as disabled from diagnosis, which is why we can claim disability living allowance and are covered by disability rights

Grandma hiya

I was told by the CAB that i wasnt entitled to anything. Do you have to be out of work for 3 months before claiming?

thank you, this is very interesting
x