Lymphodema and computer(mouse) work

post deleted

All looking good for Access to work … my HR Manager gonna sort it … when I decide to go back … they have dealings with them … but I will be assessed first by Occ Health then referred … hmmm … something tells me this could take a long time !

Hi angielav,
Don’t be worried about it taking a long time- I can’t get over how quick it was - Access to Work did not hang about once I had spoken to them - from ringinh=g them to having my assessment was just over a week. as far as I’m concerned, it was excellent.Good luckX

Hi all,
I have now recieved my letter from access to work and they have refused to fund ANY of the recommended equipment, so you were right,
Norberte!
I am now going to speak to my manager because this will cost a fair bit, and to cap it all, my contract may not be renewed next year, so i will feel like I am wasting a lot of money for about 6 months work!

Also, i have been thinking about this recommended arm rest for my affected side. I can see that it will support the weight of my right shoulder (my lymphodema is mainly trunkal, so under my arm, side and towrds the back) and now possibly developing in my dominent arm/hand.

However, usuing this gadget will mean that my arm will mainly be bent at the elbow. It will still be fairly static, and wearing a sleeve, will this position of my arm for the duration of my working day not be detrimental to lymphodema?
Just a thought… XX

If they don’t fund it and you get ill again and go off sick, and they fire you for incapacity, despite the disability discrimination legislation, is that constructive dismissal? They could have prevented your deterioration but they didn’t want to?

post deleted

Hiya All,

I’d be really interested too, as I went back to work for 4 hours on Monday and came out feeling like I’d got a tennis ball stuck to my side. So guess who’s off to Lymphodema clinic next Tuesday!

As I’m an IT techie, I will have the fun of using my mouse with the other hand until then!!

Hey ho, I’m guessing I’ll be having yet another work-station assessment done!

XXHelenXX

I don’t know if this is possible Helen, but you know how [you] one can make a keyboard appear on your screen and if the screen is touch sensitive, you don’t then need an actual keyboard; can you do something similar to replace the real mouse with an onscreen thing so the action is different, would that help or would it be way too slow?

Maybe, Is there a different peripheral you could use for that input? Joystick? Wii?? (Virtual baseball-bat, anyone?? Own up, which of you ever wanted to takle a baseball bat to the computer!! ) I’m floundering here as I really haven’t much clue, beyond having heard of head-controls, blowpipes and eye-following gadgets for severely incapacitated people, heard of, but never seen, or seen them used; but it may give you the right question to which you already know the answer although I don’t! Sewing machine foot-control?? Oooh, Has anyone yet invented a bathmat-sized touchpad to be worked (probably on the floor) by a foot/toe? Surely some “Ability” type magazine would give Letter of the Month award for that one, no?

Also, I guess it depends if you have to move around the office, use communal equipment or share you work-station, so that it has to be standard and usable by others, or if you have it all to yourself and can make any necessary modifications?