Lymphvascular invasion - how serious is it?

Hi
Mum is currently having chemo before surgery. Last week we got a letter from her oncologist outlining her details if her BC. Her tumour is about 3.5 cm grade 3 HER+++. The bit I’m really concerned with is that it also said there lymphvascular invasion. I understand that this mean the tumour has the ability to invade other areas through the blood stream. Is that right? All the scans mum has had done have come back clear so thats a relief but we still havent had the result of the SNBI have also read that LVI means there’s an increased risk of recurrence. It has got me really worried now and im really scared.
Kat xx

Hi Kat77

You may find it helpful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, they open again in the morning at 10.00 and normal hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Kat

I too had vascular invasion, hopefully the chemo should have got rid of that. As for the SNB, if there was cancer (micromets) in there, they will have been removed. I had one lymph affected out of three. If all three had been affected they would have taken more away there and then, or suggest axillary clearance at a later date. I had a mx, and chemo. When discussing my risks of recurrence (to help me decide whether to have rads or not) I was told less than 20% in my chest, and 50% in lymph nodes for which I could have ANC. I decided not to have rads on that info, as I am taking Anastrazole for 5 years at least. From your other posts, I understand your mum will have chemo and rads, so perhaps you could ask your mum’s oncologist about her percentage of risk if she has chemo and rads. I can’t remember whether you said she would be having a hormone tablet as part of her treatment, but that would be another level of protection from recurrence as would Herceptin if her cancer was HER2 RECEPTIVE.
Your mum must be very proud of you as you are really taking care of her and making sure she gets all the treatment she needs. Very best wishes to you both.
Poemsgalore xx

Hi Poemsgalores
Thank you for your reply.
Mum’s oncologist said that mum might not need rad depending on how she responds to chemo and surgery. Nearer the time I will ask her if having rad will reduce mums risk of recurrence / secondaries. If so I will advise my mum to go.
Mum is finding chemo really tough at the moment and I feel helpless not being able to really do anything. I’m trying to remain strong and positive for her. I thought I was doing ok until I found out of the LVI and now really worried about the future.
Kat xx