Management of multiple fibroadenomas

Hi there. This is my first post so bare with me!
I am 39 years old and have suffered from fibroadenomas since I was 15 when I had the first one taken out. I had another 3 taken out when I was 22… After that I didn’t bother going to get then checked for ages even though there were more lumps. I had another ultrasound when I was about 35 and more lumps were found but all looked like fibroadenomas. Last year I started to become more concerned as I know over 40 there are more chances of cancer. Last year I had mammogram and ultrasounds and all came back fine. This year I have just had another mammo and us and now I have 33 lumps!! Some of them have grown in size since last year. There are 2 that are about 3cms and a few that we 2cms and smaller. I have now been referred to a surgeon who I see this Thursday. I have looked on the Internet but can’t seem to find info about people who have as many lumps as mine. I am worried about how they will manage them. They can’t possibly take them all out! I also see stories about cancer hiding behind the lumps. I also worry that maybe one of the lumps may be cancer. It’s seems unlikely that all 33 lumps can be harmless!! Sorry for essay, just wondered if anyone else has been in this position. I found one story on line and her surgeon recommended a masectomy which obviously would be a worst case scenario.

Hi Ginnyh

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

Could I suggest that you give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with them about what you are going throught, the staff are here to support you.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator