Mastectomy and ANC

Hi, I’ve just had my mastectomy and ANC (level 3) done on 1st November. Came home last night and have very little pain, just stiffness in shoulder which is good news. I just wondered how you learn to deal with looking at yourself in the mirror. I have looked, but it upsets me every time. I am so glad the cancer is out and I am hoping that they do not find many more positive nodes (I had an SNLB which showed it to be full of cancer) but I am struggling to come to terms with the loss of my breast. I had opted for immediate reconstruction but because of the SNLB results that cannot happen now. I will have reconstruction at some point but will have to wait until after chemo and radiotherapy. I feel much better with my bra and softie on…I wore it to bed last night and can see that it will only come off for showers!
I would really appreciate any feedback on your experiences and how you learned to deal with the loss of your breast…

Hi Jonamo,

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your questions as yet, but am sure your fellow forum users will be along soon to offer you some much needed support.  In the meantime if you would like to talk to someone in confidence, then our helpline team are just a free phone call away.  0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator