mastectomy and node clearance

Had mastectomy and node clearance last Monday  , in a lot of pain , gp is phoning me tomorrow at 3pm , to stay in pain till then , as tablets I am taking are not helping as much , eventually looked now cannot stop crying  as I no longer feel like me , I feel do down and has went from grade 2 to grade 3 will find out on Friday n, exactly what it is mand further treatment . I feel I cannot face the  world again .xx

Hi Trish

Sorry you are in so much pain. I had a node clearance on the 6th march and I am just stopping taking painkillers. It also had my drain in a week, it was awful and really hurt when it was removed. My bcn said it was mainly nerve damage that was causing the problem,  boy its hurts. Are you taking ibuprofen and paracetamol every two hours? I had a lumpectomy in January and did get clear margins but mine also went from a grade 2 to 3, I was so deflated, but it is common.  When you have your initial biopsy they cannot give you a true diagnosis until the whole lump is removed. 

I do hope you feel better soon, and hope you get the results you want from the clearance. 

Take care

Louise xxxxx

Hi Trish
Sorry to read that you are struggling, for practical and emotional support please feel free to call our helpliners on 0808 800 6000, they reopen in the morning at 9, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

Are you going to have radiotherapy? I’m having that in June and was told you have to wait 12 months for the radiation to leave your body or it destroys the new tissue or silicon ( whichever you have) that is used in reconstruction.

I’m a DD cup so I expect I’ll look a little odd this year, but it will get sorted because I’m having the other one removed next year as a precaution and a double reconstruction, so I’ll have a matching pair again eventually.

Hi, my name is Kate, I’m 39 and have 3 girls aged 5, 2 & 8 months… I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 6th Feb…I was given a fortnight to stop breastfeeding so they could operate and I had a left mastectomy on 28th Feb only to find that it was in 3 out of 4 lymph nodes.

They then advised full axillary lymph node clearance, which I had done on 24th March.

Just had results back and they’ve found cancer in some of them too, which means I need radio as well as Chemo…

I’ve just had my drain out and it feels like my arm is getting worse and more painful as time is going on. the best way I can describe it is that it feels like the underside of my arm all the way to my elbow is on fire.

I’ve been trying to do the exercises from the physio, but it feels like it’s getting harder to do instead of easier because the pain is so bad. I’m taking ibuprofen, paracetamol & codeine phosphate, but the codeine phos is bunging me up something chronic!

I know everyone is different, but had anyone else had this burning feeling and how long before it settles down?

I have to have a CT scan, MRI scan & a bone scan on Friday 11th to see if there is any further spread & then I have to have a heart scan before they put a Hickman line in. 

I’m waiting for a date for Chemo to start & have been told it will be 8 cycles followed by Radio… Should be starting in the next 2 weeks, bang in the middle of the Easter holidays.

Good luck to everyone out there and although it’s hard at times, you have to remember to stay positive…

Drain staying another day , to be removed  on Monday as then it will be 15 days , site painful today , the pest  as I call my drain  , feeling guilty about being so happy , as other people are loosing their fight , especially a special guy down the road … still feel wow I beat it , with all the staff , doctors , surgeon , oncologist , everybody in my care .who treated me at Crosshouse Hospital near Kilmarnock , I have no bad experiences , only fantastic ones .xxx