Mastectomy and the younger woman

Hi All,

I had a mastectomy on 8th October 2013 and am awaiting my results to find out if I have invasive cancer (hoping it’s all DCIS but doctor found micrometastasis in my armpit during mastectomy)

Anyway I have started writing a blog of my story so far. It’s certainly helped me writing it and, if it raises a smile for anyone else in these crazy times, then it’s a massive bonus.

I am a 36 year old mother of 2 boys (2 year old and 5 month old) and if anyone would like a read i’m at www.catlet.co.uk

Wishing you all the best

x

Hi catlet

Welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure your fellow users will share support and experiences with you along the way, please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat

You may find the following link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ page helpful, here you will find lots of information and support ideas to help you through the coming weeks and months :

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hiya Catlet, I am 37 and was diagnosed with breast cancer and 3 nodes effected March this year when I was still 36. I have had a MX + 4 out of 6 chemo sessions (number 5 this Tuesday).

Had a great read of your blog so far and would like to say how fantastic it has beenwritten. I completetly got everything you have written yet found myself chuckling away at your upbeat way of writing this. Keep up the good work I shall be following your progress.

Good luck and you can do this :smiley:

I’ve not read your blog yet but I’m about to, I just wanted to say that i think blogging is a great idea to help make sense of things. 

I only got diagnosed yesterday, I have a Grade 3 invasive Ductal Carcinoma, lymph nodes clear in the fine needle biopsy. I’m struggling to come to terms and deal with thing and (might sound awful) I find it very funny. i think it’s just a coping stratergy because cancer really isn’t funny at all but I think it’s a laugh or cry sittuation and I don’t want to cry in front of my kids. 

I’m only 29 and have 3 beautiful girls, 6, 2 and 21 weeks old. My husband is very loving and supportive so I’ve got reason and strength to survive and get the cancer gone.

Anyway, I hope all is as well as can be. I shall read your blog now

Hiya Catlet, hope you get the results you need tomorrow.  Mine was invasive but as I wanted a MX to be 100% they managed to remove all of it so my Chemo is to zap any of the little buggers floating about. Chemo to me was a no brainer as I think living with not having it would have left me thinking it was still there lurking somewhere.  The chemo itself is not as bad as imagined, don’t get me wrong it’s not nice either but is doable. I have more good days then bad and have continued to work full time and even managed to put on a rock festival halfway through my treatment. Keep up the good work with the blog as it will also help you with this journey and one day you can read back on it and say, I did it :smiley:

Yes my armpit and part of the top of my arm is still numb which is bizarre. I still put deoderant on even though I’ve been told you don’t sweat under that arm after node removal. Woo hoo silver lining my deoderant will last twice as long :smiley:

Kander, so sorry to hear of your diagnosis,  I was diagnosed as grade 3 but after MX it turned out to be grade 2 after. This sight is great for advice and make you feel not alone. I was the same as you and kinda made light of the situation and have laughed more than I have cried, saying that don’t think I have cried once. We all handle it different and you must do what ever you feel inside whether it’s laughing, crying or throwing stuff. I am a huge Sex and the City fan and loved the season when Samantha got diagnosed, it was done brilliantly and handled all the doom and gloom of it with a bit of humour and light heartedness. Def worth a watch :smiley:

Anyway ladies wishing you both all the luck on your journey and if I can offer any advice or just someone to moan to just give me a shout. I am on FB so just drop me a PM if you want to find me on there as it is linked to my phone :smiley:

Emma x

Hi Catlet,

how did your results go? Hope you got the results you were hoping for. Let us know how your getting on :D 

Emma x

Hi Donna,

So sorry you didn’t get the results you hoped for. Sounds like you diagnosis is very similar to mine. Mine was dx grade 3 but non invasive but due to the size which ended up 7.5cm they said it would be highly likely there would be some invasive cells in there and low and behold there was but it also ended up being grade 2. I had 34 yes 34 nodes removed with 3 being infected.

To start with I was mortified at the thought of chemo but after I sat down and thought about it whats a few months out of my life for piece of mind knowing I had thrown everything at it. Im not sure I could of dealt with the uncertainty for the rest of my life and figured it was the lesser of 2 evils. I found just writing off those few bad weeks of my life and concentrate on just taking it easy with no pressure then making up for it on my good weeks the best way forward. 

I did use the cold cap which did work to an extent but my hair did thin out alot and as I can’t use hair dye or straightners I still had to wear my wigs. Saying that though even though it is painful and uncomfortable I would still use it again :smiley:

Hi catlet,

I just wanted to say I think your blog is so brilliantly written and your observations are very funny.  I was diagnosed in May 2011 just 5 months after my lovely husband died from skin cancer at the age of 40.  I was 41 and remember sitting in the consultant’s office and saying “But I can’ t be sick, my husband has just died”.

It seems funny (ridiculous)  now when I look back and I don’t remember much about what he said after that, it was a blur. Two and a half years on, I am only now looking at this website and finding it really helpful, and in particular, your blog.  I think it is marvellous that have the presence of mind to do it. Well done.

The waiting is just awful, and the Friday thing was the same for me, too.  I was also told that the initial results were inconclusive and not to worry. Then i went to Spain for 2 weeks, ostensibly to have a good time with my 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter. It was hellish.  

I was told I needed a mastectomy for 2 different cancers (ductal and lobular) in 3 sites and a few Fridays later they said I had a micromet and so had 15 sessions of radiotherapy. No chemotherapy.  I felt fine throughout and am taking Tamoxifen , which has its side effects, but ploughing on with my painted smile.

I wish you well xx