MASTECTOMY BRAS

MASTECTOMY BRAS

MASTECTOMY BRAS DOES THE FACT THAT I AM GOING TO BE WEARING MASTECTOMY BRAS WITH A PROTHESIS MEAN THAT I CAN NO LONGER WEAR THE LOW CUT CLOTHES I BOUGHT LAST SUMMER - IF I LEAN FORWARD WILL THE PROTHESIS SHOW.

Hi grandma It’s a case of experimenting really, to see what you can get away with. I tend to avoid very low cut stuff. You could always get one of the camisole top bras - that way you would have lace peeking out from the low cut tops, which has been one of this year’s ‘looks.’

it really does depend on you,
its a case of experimenting with your bras and tops.

i have been hiding away since my op last october , wearing high neck t shirts.
untill recently i have started to try on low cut tops, some i can wear others i can not,i always have to try things on these days as i can never really tell.
If you are buying proper pocketed bras, your prothesis wont show or fall out, however if you lean forward and the tops too low you will be able to see down your bra.

i have heard you can buy clear tape to tape your top down,
i’ve yet to find out where to get it from but i guess it will help alot with low tops.

kim xx

having that prob.
went out the other night , borrowed a lovely dress, which yes i had to be careful of, so i wore a lacey cardigan over the top which was a bit higher than the dress, so all was not revealed. you know the nice shortish fancey cardies.
have bought camisole bra but still have to be a bit careful.
in wot not to wear they used tops that were V shaped or nice blouses which would be V shaped with buttons undone, could wear T-shirt with small straps underneath blouse like a camisole.

best of luck.
sharon. x

Yes, you can Hi grandma

Yes, you can, just make sure you pick the right bra and buy a proper mastectomy bra with a pocket to hold the prothesis securely. I can still wear all my V-neck tops/t-shirts and dresses, just have to pick the right bra as some come up a bit higher than others. Amoena and Nicola Jane both do really nice lacy bras and they all seem to be slightly elasticated at the top, so even when bending down, you can’t look ‘down’ your bra. I have also found really good swimwear and just been on holiday, and I am sure nobody could have guessed that I had a mastectomy. I find for swimming a swimsuit is more comfotable, but for sunbathing I found some really nice bikinis.

Hope this helps.

Birgit

summer tops and swimwear Hi
I have just received a made to measure pocketed swimsuit that is pretty and in which I feel totaly secure that my prosthesis will not fall out or be seen.
The company I bought the garment from is Womanzone, they have a nice website. They make to measure swimsuits, tankinis, bikinis and summer tops. I am well pleased and hope others will find their products useful.

Ta ta!
Gentle

womanzone Just to say that I have bought 2 tankinis and 2 swimsuits from Womanzone and they are fabulous. Because they are custom-made I was able to have an extra long tankini top, which I love. I emailed to discuss my requirements and then ordered online. They are so helpful.
As for the tape, I have bought some off ebay and from HQ Hair - one of them is called Hollywood tape. Even so I have problems with low-cut tops, even though I am very small (36AA) and my bras all gape if I lean over, apart from a camisole one from Amoena.

Another Alternative Hi All,

Have any of you tried a “contact” prothesis which you stick onto your skin. You can buy them from Amoena UK and I think that they are great for that special occasion when you want to wear something special.

I wear my normal prothesis for everyday (and just wear a M&S sports bra rather than a mastectomy bra but also have a couple of M&S mastectomy bras from their new range which have pockets and are really nice) but have the “contact” prothesis for when I go out.

Amoena supply various different types and they cost about £100 but I think it’s well worth the money as it’s great and gives you a bit of confidence. As it’s stuck to your skin it can’t fall out or forward.

You need to be a year post-surgery to have one to allow the scar area to heal enough and it also needs to be quite flat.

I can even wear halter-neck tops without a bra when I wear my “contact” and you would never know.

They do supply them on a trial basis so if you don’t like it you can send it back for a different size etc.

Check our their website www.amoena.co.uk