MASTECTOMY SCAR

MASTECTOMY SCAR

MASTECTOMY SCAR NOW THAT MY LONG TERM INFECTION HAS FINALLY CLEARED UP AND I HAVE NO DRESSINGS, I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TAKE A PROPER LOOK AT MY SCAR AND AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. IT RUNS STRAIGHT ACROSS FROM UNDER MY ARM TO MY BREAST BONE WITH A FEW LUMPY BITS WHERE MY FATTY BITS WERE, BUT ABOUT 1 INCH FROM MY BREASTBONE, THERE IS A CURVED GROOVE LIKE A FISH TAIL AND A LUMPY BIT AROUND THE LAST INCH OF SCAR. THIS GROOVE SHOWS IF I WEAR ANYTHING TOO LOW AND ALTHOUGH I DONT INTEND TO GO TOPLESS IT IS DISAPPOINTING. I AM DUE TO SEE MY SURGEON ON MARCH 5TH AND INTEND TELLING HIM I AM NOT HAPPY WITH HIS WORK, I COULD I GATHER GET HIM TO SORT IT OUT BUT HAVING ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH THIS OP AND THE INFECTION WHICH LASTED 7 WEEKS, I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH IT AGAIN. I WAS SHOWN PHOTOS OF MASTECTOMY SCARS BEFORE AND NONE LOOKED LIKE THIS. HAS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAD ANY SUCH EXPERIENCE OR AM I JUST EXPECTING TOO MUCH, AFTER ALL THEY TOOK OUT A BIG PEICE OF TISSUE.

Hi Grandma Your scar sounds much like mine except that mine slopes slightly upwards from breastbone to armpit, because of the position of my tumour. I would imagine most people are left with something similar after surgery. As far as I can see the lumpy bit allows for free movement of my remaining breast when I stretch and twist my body. If the scar was too tight at this point I think it would pull uncomfortably on my breast.

Given how hollow my chest now is on the mastectomy side I can’t ever imagine wearing anything low enough for this little bump to show. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who aren’t hollow-chested and can therefore be more adventurous.

By all means speak to your surgeon, but I think it might be more helpful not to go in blaming him, but rather just saying that you don’t want it to show and can he do something to help you.

Good luck

Kathy xxx

I’m sorry you’ve had such a problem with infections and that you are disappointed with your scar line.
I have never been able to wear anything too low as it does not look right as I’ve got no cleavage. Also after radiotherapy i’ve got skin discolouration above the line and centrally so again this looks odd if wearing anything too low.
I think as you’ve had infections and depending where the lump was originally as that could alter your scar shape, your scar sounds as if it would be what I would expect to see. I’m sorry because I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear.
If it was me, I would be reluctant to ask for more surgery to tidy it up because you’ve no guarantee it will look more pleasing and you run the risk of more infections and a bigger scar.
You sound like you’ve had a hard time and I expect you imagined quite reasonably you would be left with a neater scar but in reality a lot of women do describe scars similar to yours and surgeons are only going to show you the best looking scar rather than the usual ones.
Are you having further treatment like chemo or rads - sorry -I couldn’t see anything to help me on your profile because they may also chnge the appearance of the scar later on and it’s very early days.
You’ve had a tough time - don’t be hard on yourself for being upset about what it looks like. Trying to imagine what it will be like after mastectomy and reality are quite different.
Hope all goes well
Kate

Hi Grandma Hi Grandma,

I just wanted to say that I hated looking at my scar and breast area in the first few months after my mastectomy. After six months, it has changed a lot and looks much better so there is hopefully still time for your’s to improve. I can understand why you don’t want to undergo any more surgery but at some stage in the future you may feel differently. I’ve just walked round the shops and got really annoyed about bras in general, lack of mastectomy bras in particular and the difficulties in buying T shirts/tops, etc. It all seems so unfair and I envy the women with two breasts who have not experienced cancer. We can’t change what has happened to us but I do think that sometimes it takes a long time to begin to accept the physical changes. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. It sounds as if you’ve had a really bad time with infections, etc. Are you still having treatment and, if so, how is it going?

Best wishes
Francine x

hi francine thank you for your kind remarks. i am still on chemo only 1 more taxotere to go in 2 weeks then hopefully no more treatment. my scar is already looking better, bought some bio oil and it is much smoother so will persevere with it and maybe in 6 months i will be able to look at it in a different light. have not had problems with bras - try nicola jane - they do some really nice ones and not too pricey. have only found a few bits that i cannot wear because of being too low so not too bad. i too envy the people with 2 boobs and hate all these ads for breast enhancement, they are lucky to have breast to enhance and i cannot even look at the sun page 3, it makes me so jealous.