I’m on chemo 4 of 8. The surgery is looming I am finding it hard to decide whether or not to go ahead with a double mastectomy. The right side is the affected breast, tumour was 4cm Her2 positive, ultrasound next week (hopefully chemo has done the job ) 

I spoke with my consultant who said I would be referred for psychological assessment and it’s a personal choice but with 4 women in the family who have had breast cancer…

i just don’t want it coming back in the other side…

I know I don’t have to make the decision yet.

thanks, Julie xxxx


sad to hear your having to walk the path like others!

I would however suggest that it’s good you have a choice to make, maybe focusing on the control you have in terms of this will help with your decision. I fully appreciate none of us wish to have walked this path but I do think there is a positive aspect to having a choice! 
also you have time to speak with others on the forum who have had the same experience or options presented to them hopefully they can offer you more support. 

Hi @juliedoc12  

I had my double mastectomy 7 weeks ago. I had 3cm aggressive HER2+ tumour on left side and LCIS on right. Surgeon suggested mastectomy on one side but because of family history I opted for bilateral - so pleased I did. I hope to have recon in a couple of years but am happy to wait.

By having bilateral, I feel that most of the anxiety is now gone, indeed, my surgeon has now told me that I am disease free and by having all of my breast tissue removed (hopefully), I have just about eradicated the chances of it coming back. win win