mastectomy

Hi Elanor

Welcome back, glad everything went ok. Remember to do those exercises. Good luck for Wednesday I see my surgeon on Weds too, I had my results from the BCN because she was away on holday so find out the next step.

Sending Hugs

Karen

XXX

Hi Eleanor

So good to see you back - glad everything went well. I was pleasantly surprised after my op too - it wasn’t half as bad as I’d feared!

I never got to Shropshire - my dear OH booked the car in for a service on the day i was supposed to go - which only left me with 2 days - it didn’t seem worth the 4 hour drive, to get there, go to bed and then get up and come back again lol - I’ll go down at easter now i think

Good luck on Wednesday

Margaret x

Hi Karen
You didn’t say what your results were I hope they were ok.
I saw my bcn but she didnt mention my results.So have to wait till wed.
I am managing to move my arm great. No stiffness, I must be one of the lucky ones.

Its all really tense isn’t it. This waiting is awful.You think once the surgery is over thats it done.
I do and dont want to know if that makes sense.
Margaret it sounds like easter will be a better time for visiting. Everything is done for a reason. Not too many choccy eggs though ha ha

Speak to you all later, thanks for the comments, greatly appreciated.
love Eleanor xx

Hi Eleanor

The results I had last week from the bcn were whether or not they had got clear margins with the mast. Surgeon was on holiday and she agreed to let me have results last week rather than wait another week. I had to wait 4 weeks for wle results because of Christmas and New Year. The results were clear by the way woo hoo.

Karen

XX

Hi Karen

That is such wonderful news! How fabulous, I bet you are one cloud nine!
I can really feel it for you.
Brilliant!

Hi Eleanor

Thanks for that, hope you get on ok on Weds will be thinking of you, my appointment is at 10.30 am but its usually a 2 hour wait. We will have to update each other.

Sending hugs

Karen

XXX

I am feeling confident at the moment. I guess it depends on the way we are feeling at the time.
I have a swelling under my arm and its a bit painful. It feels like fluid. I suppose its normal after what your body goes through. I will mention on wenesday at hosp if its no better.
Must admit Im starting to feel a bit stronger than I have been lately. Still having an afternoon nap and resting. I move my legs about to stop me ceasing up. I can manage to walk to the loo ok, but with being disabled to start with I can’t go for a real walk.
I hope everyone are feeling good today cause its a waste just me feeling happy. I do like to share around good vibs!
Will speak again soon.
Sending love and hugs to you all
Eleanor

Hey Eleanor

I’m happy too. Been out for a nice walk with friends, making the most of it before my bilateral mastectomy on Thursday.

Just quite smoking as of yesterday too, talk about picking the right time :wink:

Turns out it’s not as bad as I thought as the evil little addicted voice is having to fight with the one that’s scared of hospitals. Makes for an interesting internal dialogue.

I hope the fluid goes down for you. I hear movement does help but what do I know.

Angie

Does anyone know when I will recieve a “softie” I am reading about people having them. I could do with one. Unless a pr of socks count ( only kidding)

thanks Eleanor

Thanks Angie and well done with the smoking ban on yourself. I think its easier to stop when you get a scare on your health, it sort of puts things in its right prespective.
I think you are a very brave lady stopping smoking when you need to chill.
The outcome will be worth it.
Good luck for your op. I will be thinking of you so please come back and let me know how it went.
To be truthful it wasnt half as bad as I expected.
I took an ipod in and had all my fav songs on. listened till 2 am the night before my op which helped my mood. Got tablets to help me sleep but they didnt work.
So music seems to me a real good medicine.

Best wishes Eleanor xx

Hi Eleanor

I got my softie the day I came out of hospital but not all hospitals work the same you may get yours on Weds.

Keep doing the exercises it helps drain the fluid if it gets too swollen then they will drain it off for you but all the reports on here say that it is better in the long run if the fluid drains back into you - soes that make sense

Karen

Hi everyone,
just read this thread. Hope you don’t mind me dropping in. Another northern lady here. I had WLE in Carlisle just before Christmas. Have had to wait since then for first meeting with onc Thurs 21st Apparently they have staff shortages(according to my GP).
Angie, I noticed you were going to Carlisle as well. I’ll be thinking of you on Thurs. Hope everything goes well. By the way, who’s your surgeon? They were all lovely when I was there and have had no problems since.
Margaret, I often read your posts, they are so upbeat and humourous. Good luck with the Ben Nevis challenge. Make sure you take Karen’s advice, lots of veggie soup and friut smoothies will have you racing to the top.
Best wishes
Trish

Hey Eleanor

I’m taking my iPod in too. I’ve been working on a playlist I call… unbearably happy. I’m hoping it will work will let you know. Has to start with Sigur Ros: Hoppipolla

Used on the BBC natural history trailers:

youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig

Even the promo’s fun.

Angie

Hi all

Eleanor - glad you are feeling ok. I was the same as Karen - got my softie before i left hospital. They obviously aren’t all the same !
Would also agree with Karen with the fluid build up - mine went up and down like a yoyo but my BN had advised that if I could stand to let it drain back in it would be better than them continously draining it.

Angie - you really don’t know how good you’ve made me feel. I don;t think I have ever seen a post on here about smoking. I had been given up for 6 wks prior to my dx - then promptly started again - how stupid is that. I’m still smoking at the moment - just can’t seem to get in the frame of mind to give up - even though I know it isn’t doing me any good. Well done you for quitting!! I must try again.

Trish - I did try the soup and smoothies - but I really can’t get into them. Unfortunately at the moment the only thing that tastes good is chips, toffee fudge ice cream and chocolate - not the healthiest diet in the world huh? Just hope it gets better before October !

Hope everyone else is well - I’m working on a playlist for my ipod to take to edinburgh with me - but I keep puting really slow maudlin songs on it - if anyone can suggest any upbeat one’s they’d be much appreciated lol

take care all

Margaret x

Hi
My name is Andi , based in Norfolk and had a right mastectomy and axilla clearance on 8th Feb. Feel ok and agree with stuff written here. I got my softies through the post but am just wearing a bra and not the falsie.

Histology stuff is two weeks today , so then I’ll know what’s happening next.Bit of seroma
at the mo.

nice to chat.

Hi Andi and welcome to the forums - though obviously sorry you have had to join us.

I’ve had tons of support from the ladies and gents on here - as well as from BCC themselves with publications/advice etc. I had the same as you - right mast & axillary clearance, but mine was back in November.

Hope the seroma clears itself - mine always did and fortunately never had to have it drained. Hope all goes well when you get histology - please keep posting and let us know - whatever the outcome there will be someone who has been there, done that and got the T-shirt who can give you advice and support! AS you will have probably seen there are threads covering just about every possibility!

Take care

Margaret x

Hi Andi

Welcome to the site where no -one wants to be but everyone is so supportive and friendly. You are in roughly my neck of the woods Im from Lincolnshire. Glad to hear your feeling ok, keep posting

Sending Hugs

Karen

XX

hi all

hope u dont mind me dropping in on yr thread. i dont seem to be able to sleep just now and have become hooked on this site. which i must say has been a god sent to me and my sanity. i go into hospital on thursday 21st and get mastectomy and reconstruction done on friday 22nd. im just counting down the days now and starting to feel a wee bit anxious. i had my 14 year old in tears tonight as i kept kissing him and telling him how much i love him. i feel bad now as he fell asleep crying. i will need to pull myself together the next couple of days as the last thing i want to do is upset my kids. sorry for rambling on.

take care al and god bless

maria

Hi Maria

Feel free to ramble all you wish it is what this site is for. It is very hard with children you want to wrap them up in cotton wool but its not that easy is it. We have been open and straight with our children from the start so they can ask any questions they like even if its not what I want to hear. If you are struggling why dont you ask your gp to give you something to help calm you down. I did and they were brilliant at just taking the edge off the stress. I only used them in the run ups to my 2 ops and havent taken them since.

Good luck for Thursday

Sending hugs

Karen

XXX

hi karen

with hindsite i wish i had been open and honest with by two boys. thomas is 14 likes u to think he can handle anything but really he is still our wee boy and got really upset last year when my dad died of cancer within 5 weeks and whenever we try to talk to him he says things like are u going to die like granda and gets really upset and when his dad tells him that what ive got is different he thinks we are only saying this so he doesnt get upset. its different with my 18 year old stephen who is autistic. some of the things he says makes us laugh. we were in the car the other day and a song came on the radio by a group called the plane white ts :singing hey there delila whats it like in new york city: and he asked me if i liked it and i said yes so without a second thought he said thats it then i will play it at yr funeral for u. that did make me laugh. then i started thinking about what would happen to him if i wasnt here, i need to try and stop thinking. i guess its because my op is getting closer that im worrying about everything. i think ive went on enough tonite

good nite god bless
maria