Medication Dilemma

Medication Dilemma

Medication Dilemma Hi,
i really need some advice and encouragement I am a young at heart 45 year old, had a mastectomy in April then went on to Tamoxifen which made me feel really ill, about four weeks ago went on to Arimidex. I felt OK at first but as I also have MS have found this has made my symptoms much worse plus the usual really heavy bleeding can’t sleep (when I do sleep nightmares!)sweating, I alternate from being hyper to exhausted. Through out I have felt pretty positive but now i feel i am losing control of everything, my family seem to me to be fed up as we cannot do alot at the moment everyone seems to be going through the happy family motions but look like they want to scream! I am thinking of having counselling to try and help has anyone else found this helpful? When i see my neighbours doing there thing and being normal i feel really angry, and then i feel angry at my self for feeling this way. My doctor has said that I may need to come off the Arimidex if it continues to make my MS worse, i don’t know what to do should i carry on and hope i will feel better but risk my family life becoming worse and my fear that my husband is so unhappy but can’t say or take a chance and come off the medication completely. Writing this i feel like i really want to have a good cry but don’t have the energy I should have apologised in advance for the moan so thanks for the free counselling session.
Love Linlin xx

For Linlin Hi Linlin

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time, please feel free to contact out free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000 if you would like to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment.
Everyone on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer or is a breast care nurse.
The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so callers get to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues they’re facing.
The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

Kind regards

Forum Host

Breast Cancer Care

Support Hello Linlin,

Just wanted to say that I have had counselling through the latter part of chemo.
I thought that I was coping but suddenly it was obvious that I wasn’t.

I then had surgery and now I am to start rads. There seems to be a question of whether I will be on Tamoxifen or Arimidex. The doctors have tried both- and they don’t seem to have made up their minds as yet.

I am off to have yet another session of counselling-and why- yes it is now obvious that I am again temporarily unable to cope with it all.

We will get there girl. And you just moan a bit if it helps.

Lol
x
Lambkin

Many thanks Hi Lambkin,
just wanted to thank you so much for your positive words sometimes thats all you need from some one who knows how you feel.
Keep well love linlin xxx

Stoping Tamoxifen Hi
Has anyone else thought about stoping taking tamoxifen due to side effects?
I have been taking it for a year now and have tried varoius ways of coping (almost every bit of advice avaible) and have come to a crisis point where I feel it is taking over my life. I can’t sleep, feel constantly tired, find donig normal activites a major effort and have no social life , even having a half glass of wine is a thought due the effect of tamoxifen. I’ve been to my GP who has been great and done blood test etc to rule out any other cause but all these are fine and since my consultant said it is not suitable for me to take the other alternatives to tamoxifen.I find I’m faced with a very difficult choice, take it for the next four years and have no life or stop and increase my chances of the cancer coming back .

Izzy

Message for Izzy Hiya,looked at your profile after reading of your struggle with tamoxifen & was so pleased to see you are in Scotland.I have been having probs with tamoxifen too…I feel tired all the time but this is my second dose of cancer so feel i should carry on.Hope it gets better for you,they hav said it just takes time for the body to get used to it so we will both see ,LOL.You take care,even if you think you arent coping you are a star ! Debz

Not sure Hi there

It is very difficult at times to know what to do for the best. I am in counselling and finding it useful, on Tamoxifen and had probs but was changed to Noveldex which seemed to help with some of the problems. However, 2 years on still very tired and struggling. I thought I was coping with everything till 2 months ago when everything came crashing in round my ears.

The family thing is difficult, I get very angry as I want to be normal and feel guilty as my mastectomy (due to high grade DCIS) seems to dominate everything we can or can’t do. I got myself in a bit of a mess and spent lots of time being very angry or sat crying all the time. I found the Peer Support very helpful as well as the other support offered on this site. The best thing I did was to go on the 2 day Living with Breast Cancer course it was fantastic. It has helped me get things more in to perspective and it was a chance to talk to people who really understood the ups and downs of things. I have made some very good friends and it is nice to know that you are not alone in all this.

I hope they can sort out the medication for you and that you start to feel a bit better. The best advice I got from my Peer Support was be a little selfish and think about what you need. If you want to cry do and don’t feel guilty for this.

Take good care and I will be thinking of you.
Debx

push to be changed to anastrasole/arimidex which works in same way as tamoxifen it has less side effects

medication dilemma Wanted to say—try and stick at it!----I am on arimadex and have hated it from the start!Had every side effect going and had a week off it and was fine–The Oncologist said I really had to continue for 5 yrs----so am trying to deal with the worst side effects and have tried to brainwash myself into carrying on.As someone else said–one has to take on board what might happen if one went against the professionall advice. I do know 2 friends who took themselves off it and —a few years on have passed away.----My worst side effect is that i cannot taste anything and am not hungry also feel sick often and the hot flushes are up and down.Am doing my best to put up with all these things and one must think of the alternative??.Best wishes to you and keep on logging on—I have found such help with this support groupTrishx

medication dilema I am having herceptin and arimidex. I was having hot flushes even before I started the arimidex last month. Hopefully I will stay post mentrual and then they may give me something else. I also have a rash and aching joints. The rash I should query and the aches may still be from the taxetore. Is this what it will be like for the next 5 years. On a more amusing note my onc gave me the lubrication, precautions and sex talk on front of my mum, it was a bit of a red face situation. SEX CHANCE WOULD BE A FINE THING.
lOUISE

I have been on Arimidex since the beginning of September. I have so much joint pain I can’t sleep. I’m permently tired and get confused and emotional really easily. I’ve just started rads and I don’t know if that will help or not.
I read some were that walking helps it doesn’t I have to walk my puppy and nearly always come back in tears from the pain in my legs.
I was told about joint pains, though never expected it to be so bad, I have to wait 3 months to see if it eases. If it doesn’t I’m going to take my chances and have some fun, at 58 I’m to old to wait 5 years for a good quality life.

Glo