Men with BC or Male Breast Cancer?

terminology I have to agree with Brian that “Male Breast Cancer” reads as though the disease cited is specifically found only in males. If I was editing a text in which it appeared, I would certainly query it with the author. “Men with Breast Cancer” and “Women with Breast Cancer” seem to me perfectly acceptable phrases to express the status of the sufferers.

On the other hand I would be interested to know if there is a psychological difference in reaction between men and women. Are women more likely to be boulversee by the news? Are they more emotionally affected by its treatments? Or are men equally affected but less vocal?

And I do NOT agree that men suffererers are trying to dictate to women how to think about their disease. There appears to be a hypersensitivity about this (not just on this forum - others as well), often resulting from hasty reading of a posting and hasty response. Perhaps, therefore, people should prepare their replies off-line and think about them before posting to try and minimize unintended offence.

Phoebe, what makes you assume that people don’t read posts properly before replying to them and prepare their replies off-line and think about them and check them before posting?

I always do and I’m sure that the many other women who hold different views to you also carefully word and check what they’ve said before posting.

I want to make it absolutely clear, Je ne regrette rien.

Oh dear Was trying to be impersonal, but clearly failed. Sorry

No problem. This is one of those topics where people have very differing views and are unlikely to change them.

I haven’t entered into this dsicussion in the past, but just want to say that i found Daphne’s first post most interesting, and i would have thought very welcome by men in particular and all in general.

Brian said:
Firstly; it isn’t a strong enough phrase to get the message across to MEN. If they are like me they will hear the MALE bit a switch off - because generally speaking Men are Doctor dogers, so using the term Breast Cancer in Men allows them to listen to a whole sentence before realising that it affects them too.
Secondly; it implies that it is a Male only disease - which I hope I have explained sufficiently that it isn’t, it’s Breast Cancer.

I think if men switch of after 1 word, then what hope if its changed round? - i don’t think the subtlety would strike home to such a person that would switch off so readily. Surely the word ‘male’ to start with would make men pay attention as it make clear the message is aimed at them? More overall education is needed - a bit like educating men about going to the doctor with early symptoms to catch prostate cancer early.
The second point I just don’t agree with - sorry Brian!

Lastly i’d just like to say that i do find some of the men on here a bit ‘aggressive’, and also very ‘territorial’, about how women talk about their [‘men with…’] breast cancer, which is quite sad. No offence to you kindly gentlemen that post, and not referring to your post here Brian, just in case you wondered since i quoted you. If in the past its put me off (and I’m no shrinking violet) from contributing to discussions with men on this site then I’m surely not the only one and everyone loses? …or am I the only one ?? lol :slight_smile:

Thanks Tigerlily,
Everyone is entitled to their own opnion and as I have said before I fully respect that. I will not take issue with anyone who wants call BC in either gender whatever they want and I have apologised on several occasions for what may seem aggression bourne out of frustration of not being able to get the point across and, as has been pointed out by several members, being in a predominently female domain. But I remain committed to raising awareness within the Male population that this is not a woman only disease, highlighting the fact that men have breasts too and the importance of simple checks to catch the disease early enough. The majority of men don’t. I was lucky, in that I identified my tumours early to receive successful and subsequently preventative treatment - but the shocking thing for me was when the consultant told me that I’d probably had my tumours for 5 or 6 years, so what had changed that enabled me to identfy the problem? And the only answer is a period of rapid growth due to hormonal changes in my body. Most men are in later life when they identify their tumour, by which time its often too late, hence the high mortality rate in men.

Any help we can get to spread the word has a real chance of saving lives.

I have never set out to upset or offend anyone on this forum. I hope that you will not tar all with the same brush and continue to include us (men). I think we have something to offer in terms of support - although others will disagree.

Regards

Brian