Methotrexate, surgery & radiation

Hi everyone, on 16th March I was diagnosed with a 7 mm grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma, after a routine mammography and follow up tests. I now know it is very strongly Oestrogen Receptor positive (8) and another lump, in my arm, has been scanned and determined to be benign. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease last year and have lost 4 stone in weight because of that.  I have joint and muscle pain and a stricture in my terminal ileum.  I had been referred for bowel surgery (a resection and right hemicolectomy) but that must now wait until the cancer is treated.  I take 25 mg methotrexate for the Crohn’s Disease.  Apart from steroids, that is the only thing that has worked so far and that is making me slightly anaemic. It is an immune suppressant so will increase the risk of post operative infection and will affect my ability to cope with radiation.  It is possible that I might have longer, lower strength radiation, or that I might have to come off methotrexate.  I am not very keen on that, as my weight will start falling away again and the joint pain is pretty bad without it!  I am just wondering if there’s anyone out there in the same boat, or who has gone through a similar experience?  Any advice or feedback would be most welcome!  Thanks!

Hi MaudZarco, 

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time, I am sure our users will be along soon to share their similar stories and offer their support.

In the meantime, if you would like to talk, you can call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about what you are going through and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hi, my story similar, invasive ductal but mine was triple negative.  I am on 15mg methotrexate for dermatomyositis, an auto immune disease,  but I didn’t start it until after lumpectomy and axilliary clearance. A year later I had a lump removed from my arm, I stopped the metho for a time but increased my steroids to 40 mg a day. Luckily that lump was just a fatty lump or something!  Yet another lump on collar bone in dec 14, scan showed cyst, phew. I should be having surgery on my back due to spondylolisthesis,  and need gallbladder removed due to gallstones, but I am scared it will trigger a flare up - and cause immune system to go haywire! I know we should stop the metho if we are ill or have infection. Good luck , cant offer any advice im sorry to say, but I understand your dilemma. XX