Microcalcifications found on first annual mammogram post diagnosis

Dear Kazi1976, I just wanted to send a virtual hug, your post really resonated with me. I will be thinking of you today and hope all will be well xx

1 Like

Thank you so much to everyone for your support. The issue was benign and I didn’t even need a biopsy. I hope this might help others who come across the thread in future. :pray:t2:

9 Likes

Fantastic news @Kazi1976 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Amazing news @Kazi1976 so happy for you!! :sparkling_heart: xx

Hi @naughty_boob , what is a genetics test? Did you have it done privately?

1 Like

Hi @expatblue

I had my genetic test on the NHS in the U.K. as I had bilateral invasive breast cancer. A separate primary tumour in each breast. Most tests are done with a strong family history which I didn’t have. The oncologist referred me to the All Wales Genetic Service.

The main two genes are BRCA1 and BRCA2. I was tested for several others as well. The actress Angelina Jolie had a preventative double mastectomy due to her genetic status.

Her is a link from BCN with more information Genetic testing for altered breast cancer genes | Breast Cancer Now

I hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you @naughty_boob.

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting your outcome; it did in fact help me, mentally! I am in similar situation, calcifications seen on annual 4 years after +++ very early stage treatment. Back for additional scan next week… good to know it is at least possible for them to not be cancerous (my onc also says but we look for all rays of hope!). Hope you are still doing well.

2 Likes

Thanks for this; facing similar situation now, good to hear you got a benign finding.

2 Likes

Thank you KKM I’m so glad I helped you and I wish you well xx

2 Likes

And another update, for anybody searching this topic for help as I was – my follow up diagnostic mammogram was negative as well! To recap for women in need: I am 4 years out lumpectomy/radiation/Taxol/Herceptin for +++, very early stage (6mm tumor, no nodal involvement). 3 normal post-surgery annual mammograms, fourth showed calcifications in area of former tumor and current clip. Was able to have a second, magnified mammogram that examined the shape of the calcifications, that confirmed benign. Calcifications can form as cels basically “die” after trauma in the area. If the shape were worrying (rod shaped more suspicious), biopsy would have been my next step. Per my onc, majority of post-treatment calcifications are benign, but important to get a closer look. Best wishes to all!

4 Likes

Fantastic news KKM

Great news @kkm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: