Mobility problems

Good evening, please see statement below (post from forum). I was told to try here. Any advice/point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I’ve constantly mentioned it to my doc but she has no answers. Have you come across this issue before?.
Thank you :blush:

Hi, I had my breast cancer treatment in 2020 (full works - both breasts) Did start taking Tamoxifen but side effects got too much so I am now on Letrozole. I have mobility issues since I had chemo - legs feel very heavy and really ache so I can’t stand/walk for long periods of time. Jogging/ running is definitely a no go.
Thank you.

Hello Shel23

Thanks for posting.

Chemotherapy can sometimes affect mobility by causing muscle aches and peripheral neuropathy. This gradually improves over time. Hormone therapies like letrozole can also cause joint aches and pains. This is a common side effect and can really impact on quality of life. It’s not clear how long you have been on letrozole for, but it may be this that’s causing the symptoms you have rather than the chemo.

We’re not sure what doctor you have spoken to. If you are still under the care of the hospital do get in touch with your breast care nurse to talk this through. If after assessing you they feel it is the letrozole, they may suggest another switch to a different hormone therapy. Some people may suit one drug over another. Some women also find the brand of drug they take affects their symptoms.

If you are no longer able to access your treatment team speak to your GP again with this information.

Referral to a physiotherapist might help. And here is further information about hormone therapy and joint pain

It might be helpful to read about other women’s experience of taking letrozole in this section of our forum. Details of all our services can be found here

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We are closed on Monday the 28th August for the bank holiday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.