MRI drug helps chemotherapy effectiveness?

MRI drug helps chemotherapy effectiveness?

MRI drug helps chemotherapy effectiveness? Hi,

Read this i yesterday’s Times. Apparently, French researchers have found that a chemical [Mangafodipir] which is used to make MRI scans more contrasty (that die they inject in your arm when you have your MRI), may also help in the cure of some cancers .

Paris Doctors report in the ‘Journal of the National Cancer Institute’ that the chemical boosts the anti-cancer ability of 3 of the chemotherapy drugs. Many chemotherapy drugs work by increasing levels of hydrogen peroxide in tumour cells, which kills them. But some enzymes in the body help to protect the tumour cells from this damage, which cuts the drugs effectveness.

Mangafodipir promotes the production of hydrogen peroxide in the tumour cells, and it also seems to protect healthy cells from chemotherpay-related damage.

This is all the info i have. Not sure how - or if - this relates to breast cancer chemotherapy in particular, but i found very interesting as i am having MRI scans to monitor my tumour’s shrinkage with chemotherpy prior to surgery. Fingers crossed then!

Tigerlily