MX in December then chemo in the New Year anyone??

Hi
I am due to have my mastectomy and full auxillary clearance on December 7th. Then having chemo in the new year with Heceptin for a year followed by meds for 5 years. I am not having an immediate reconstruction as the Doc wants me to start the Chemo /herceptin asap. At the moment it is unlikely that there any any nodes involved as they looked NAD on the scan and on examination,will know more following surgery. Due to the fact I have a few small tumours throughout the left breast 1 x 12mm 1x 5mm and two further suspicious looking areas the doctor has decided to air on the side of safety and take the whole breast. He has also suggested that I have a breast reduction at the time of my reconstruction I am a 40DD is the ususal???

I feel relieved in a bizare way now I know what I am facing and I can get on with it, the scary thing for me is this was picked up at my first every routine mammogram as I am only 49. I have no palpable lumps or signs, no family history of BC or any cancer for that matter, breastfed my two children for a year each don’t smoke and drink very little. The doctor seems to thing it is very early and I may have had it only a couple of months! I hope someone will join me on this long road ahead.

Hi Lizzyship
Worrying times for all of us when we first hear the news. But modern treatments are very effective for most people, thank goodness.
Cancer is a strange thing. It can happen to anyone, no matter how fit and healthy their lifestyle, and there’s plenty of people on here who have the same sort of pattern of discovery as you did. Hurrah that they got it early!
I’m puzzled about your surgeon’s advice too - might be worth a chat with your breast care nurse to see if she can interpret what was meant?
Ann x (diagnosed Feb this year - done chemo, lumpectomy, now doing rads and herceptin)

Hi
thanks for you words of support - the surgeon is thinking my prosthesis will be heavy if I stay the size I am so hence the reduction - just struggling with the fact I am so well and I know soon I wont be but I will be healing not ill so the way I figure it is I won’t ever ‘suffer’ with the cancer but will be unwell with the healing. It seems so much to take in at once but I have found this website invaluable as I refuse to look elsewhere on line for fear of worrying myself. Will keep in touch.

Routine mammogram 13/10/11
Mum passed away 14/10/11
Call back 7/11/11
Diagnosed 17/11/11
pre op 25/11/11
50th Birthday 28/11/11
Mastectomy 7/12/11 . … busy couple of months!

Hi lizzyship

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi lizzyship,

Sorry you’ve had to join us and so very sorry to hear about your mum. I’m afraid the appointments will come thick and fast now, but I think like most of us you feel a lot better once there’s a treatment plan in place.

It isn’t all that unusual to be offered a reduction at the same time. My surgeon would have done one for me if he’s had to take any more away as I’m a 32G but in the end the difference wasn’t too great. I’d certainly have needed one if I’d had a full MX. Actually, it was my size that saved me from an MX as he could take quite a large lump away and still leave a lot behind!

Your experience just goes to show how important the screening programme is. Who knows how long it would have been before you felt anything. I found my lump while in the shower exactly a year ago tomorrow and it had reached half of my lymph nodes by then (I’m only 45 so no routine mammo yet). I had my op on Christmas Eve.

I was also fit and healthy - unfortunately with breast cancer it really is the treatment that makes you ill. Just not fair, is it?

You’re very wise not to Google. Stick to this site, Macmillan and Cancer Research. There’s an awful lot of misinformation and out of date stuff out there.

Make sure you do your exercises after your op as the axillary clearance can cause a lot of arm movement issues if you’re not careful - it often gives more problems than an MX or WLE. You should be given some but also BCC do an excellent DVD that you can get for free.

Hope it all goes well - all the very best for your op.

Jane xxx

Hi Lizzyship

I am having my operation ( hopefully ) on tuesday the 29th november and because I am a large busted woman ( 38 G) I am having a reduction on both sides instead of a Mx on one. My surgeon said the same thing that a prosthesis would be too heavy. He also showed me some photos of reductions he had done on other women with BC. Nothing untoward showed up on my MRI, so as of yet Im not sure what treatment I will have following my Op.

I am also 49 ( 50 in may) with two children (18 and 21)

happy Birthday for tomorrow xxxx

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, and good luck with your surgery hope all goes well - keep in touch and let us all know how you get on treatment wise - I have four friends who have all had BC this last year and not 2 of us have had the same treatment! My other friend is 70 and she had her breast off when she was 32! keep positive.