My nans just been diagonosed with cancer

Hi to all those brave ladies out there, You never think it will ever happen to anybody in your family. My nan was diagnosed yesterday with brest cancer. It may be in both breasts. I didnt like to ask her wot type of cancer it was cos I was totally distraught. Im trying to find out more about breast cancer and try and understand it a bit more. What can I do to help her. i feel so helpless. Shes the kind of person who will say well Im 77 Ive had a good life blah blah blah.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
regards
Jo

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forums where I am sure you will get lots of support from the many informed users of this site.
Breast Cancer Care produce numerous fact sheet regarding breast cancer one of which I have put the link to below:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/bcu06_web_0.pdf This publication explains about the initial diagnosis of breast cancer and what happens next, which I hope will help you understand a bit more about the treatments your Nan might be offered. If you feel you need to talk to someone in confidence the nurses on the helpline will be only too happy to talk to you. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm the number to call is 0808 800 6000.

By coming to the forums you’ve made the first step in helping your Nan through this.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Hiya Jo, so sorry about your nan. You sound like a lovely caring grandaughter. Your nan probably won’t know that much yet. I didn’t find out what type until I had had a masectomy. Reading too much at the moment will scare you, your nan will probably be scared but won’t want to worry her family take care and keep in touch love Eileen

Hi all,
Thank you for your words of kindness. Im not finding the news easy at all. Ive only ever lost 1 person who was very close to me. I dont want to loose another yet.
Thanks for all your support

Jo

hi jo,

all i can suggest is be there for your nan…my granddaughter was distraught when i told her, but i told her the best thing she could do for me was to be strong…i find it easier to cope when others are not losing the plot, otherwise i go to bits

jaki xx

I found it hard to explain to my kids. They are 11 and 7. The oldest understands, but the littlun thinks nanny has got a poorly toe. My oldest brought my nans some flowers yesterday out of her own money. That will prob mean more to my nan than anything. So far the kids havent asked any questions.

Thanks for the support.
Jo