New - daughter of patient

Hi. I’m new and I’m here looking for advice. My mum is 48 and has recently had two surgeries on her right boob to remove cancerous cells. She is lucky that she has been able to keep her breast, but she is very upset about how it looks. I keep explaining that she is still healing and the surgeon has said that she can have them reshaped etc. Anyways, the bras she has to wear are rather boring and she has been told to wear loose fitting tops. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for her to lose such a huge aspect of what makes her a woman. She is about to begin three weeks of radiotherapy - they said they got it all in the second op and this is to try and keep it away - and this is obviously going to have quite an impact on her too. We’re a low income family and it’s so difficult to find decent underwear that may boost her confidence and make her feel better about herself. It’s her birthday on the 28th, by which point she’ll be halfway through her treatment, and I want to take her out for lunch and shopping for some tops and bras that might make her feel more feminine and confident. Do you have any suggestions on the underwear front? When I Google search, it comes up with mastectomy bras. Is this the kind of thing I’m after? At the moment she’s wearing childlike, plain, white, cotton, non-underwired ‘things’. Do you also have any suggestions for how I can support her/make her feel better during radiotherapy? I’m not really sure what to expect as I know it’s not like chemotherapy… Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi EmsLF,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, it’s the right place for some good, honest support for your mum and yourself.

I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful, also our helpline are just a free phone call away for extra added support 0808 800 6000, lines open 9-5 Mon -Fri and Sat 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator