New, found a lump, Breast Clinic Referral

Hi all.
I hope I am posting in the right place.
I am 37 years old and I have recently found a lump deep in my left armpit. I found the courage to see my GP today who was lovely about it. She struggled to feel what I was feeling as it is very deep and awkward, yet she agreed that it needed further investigation as the tissue in the left breast felt different from the other side. Something I hadn’t noticed.
My appointment is in 13days at the Breat Clinic and like many you have already felt, I am very worried and nervous.
For the first time in my life I am scared. When I was 18 I had pre-cancerous cells on the Cervix and had surgery to remove this problem. I am checked yearly now. Maybe being 18, young and carefree I was never worried about the whole ordeal. This however feels different, maybe as I am that bit older and maybe because I now have two young children.
Hoping to gain a lot of information and support through this forum and offer some back if I can at all.
Thanks for reading.

Hi pookierara

I’m sorry to read that you are having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime if you would like to talk things through or have some extra support do give the helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. The staff are there to offer a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi welcome to this site it is very supportive…i am 36 years old I went to gp last Thursday with a lump and I am still waiting for my appointment to breast clininc which is stressful in its self…how long did it take for your appointment? Have you any pain at all? Xx

Thank you Sam.

Hi Emz76. My Gp got my referral to the Breast Clinic there are then. Its a 2 week maximum wait for things like this,…so its on the 7th May. Yes I have some aching pains in the area now and then but its hurts more today as I’ve been poked and proded a lot by the Gp.
Its all very scary. I have awful thoughts. Like I have been reading in a lot of peoples thread, I think this is the worst bit, the waiting and not knowing what it is. I know it may turn out to be nothing and I pray it is, but I am worrying myself and have had a few tears today.
I hope you get your appointment through soon. x

Hi Emz and Pookierara

I am so sorry that you have both found yourselfs here and will keep my fingers crossed for you both.

Emz - Have you got your appoinment through yet? It is very important that you keep chasing for this.

Pookierara - It is good that you have your appointment througha and I wish you luck for the 7th.

After being seen by my GP, it took a week before I went for my mammogram. It was then a further week before I saw the culsultant and then a further week before I received the results of my biopsy.

The waiting time for the results is the worst time ever. I am a very head strong, confident person and it took me to places I didn’t even know existed. My advise would be to keep busy at work and rely on the friends you have around you for support. Don’t feel that you are going through this alone, because you are not. Keep coming back to the forums, even if it’s just for a rant.

Keep in touch and good luck,
Martha xx

Hi Martha and pookiera I still haven’t heard and phoned both gp and clinic and gp saying theha refered last Thursday and hospital saying they ain’t received it…I’m going to gp tomos as iv had enough and experiencing dreadful pain in boob,chest and arm.very very low today xx

Hey Em

Bless you sweetie - tell them that you want an urgent referral within the next few days - You’ve waited long enough.

Try to keep yourself busy babe xx

Good luck and keep us updated :wink:

Sending you lots of hugs
Martha xxx

Thank you martha I will let you know what gp says tomos!! I’m very negative tonight waiting is a true nightmare!! Xx

I know what you mean Em - I had a little cry tonight, but it doesn’t hurt to let out some emotion.

I’ve found playing solitaire quite distracting lol. I’ve also downloaded a few meditation apps on my phone too and they are a big help.

PM me any time you need a quick chat.

Take care
Martha xx

Thanks Martha for your kind words.
Emz I would definately play your face about getting that appointment.
x