New here and very scared

Hi. This is my first time on here. I have just been referred to my local hospital for a consultation and possible mamogram/ultrasound next Wednesday after visiting my doctor this morning. I have had a strange itching and scab just below my areola for a while but thought nothing of it and then last night I was watching a program on chanel 4 about examining your breasts and I followed the instructions and found a small pea sized lump. Im really worried, surely the doc must be to as my referrel is so soon, also my Nan died last year of secondary liver cancer (started in her bowel) as did her brother a few years before. As you can see by my user name, I have two little boys, one of 2 and one of 4 months (breastfed first one for a year and the second rejected it at 6 weeks), I thought feeding was supposed to help prevent problems? Im only 31 too so quite young for all of this. Im so scared for my boys. I have been looking for info on skin changes but cant find much, it all seems to be about the skin on the nipple but mine isnt near the nipple so really confused.

Sorry to ramble, just wondered if anyone had any useful info they can give me?

Thanks

Sheri xxx

Im new here too,looking for advice on how best to help a friend who has just been diagnosed. Im also very scared and worried about her. I have read through a lot of the comments on this forum and Im starting to feel a bit better- there is a hell of a lot of support out there.Be brave and be positive and I send you an enormous hug.
Manda x

Hi Sheri

Welcome to the forums, where I am sure that you will receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members. You may also find our publication helpful to read, it’s called ‘Referral to a breast clinic’, this can be downloaded from the website via the following link: breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=12225 Please also feel free to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 if you feel it would help to talk things through with someone in confidence. The line is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Katie

Hi Sheri

Most referrals are within 2 weeks they are guidelines set out by the government, so if GPs have women or men with breast symptoms (eg lumps, nipple problems etc) they are referred urgently. Its good that your GP has referred you quickly because as you may have guessed from most of these posts the waiting is horrible.

I dont know much about your condition but just wanted to tell you that if you have questions or concerns or are just feeling down we are here for you, and dont worry about rambling we all do that on here.

Yvonne xx

Hi Sheri,

I also breast fed my 2 daughters ( 1 for a year and 1 for 3 months )I thought at the time that it was supposed to protect you also.
I was DX last May at 38 there are also ladies much younger on here. I think Pagets disease which is a form of BC may include a rash or scab but I may be wrong. Also It may be nothing to worry about so hold onto that thought.

You,ll find lots of support and info on here if you need it. Best of luck with your tests.
Love Andrea x

HI Sheri

Being a mum of two Big Boys (24 and 21) I know how you feel, please try not to worry too much chances are there is nothing much wrong. If in the event you do have a problem we are all here to help you through.

Best of luck with your tests

Deb x

Hi
Thank you so, so much for all the replys and sorry I never came back yesterday, I spent the day feeling very sorry for myself and being a right pain in the bum to my poor husband. Just keep thinking the worst, but then I am a naturally cup is half empty kind of person! I start back at work tomorrow and cant believe I have to sit there making jokes and pretending to be all jolly when I just want to stay in and laze around till next Wednesday! I dont think it would be this bad if cancer hadnt taken my lovely nan last year, we were very close. I am SO flaming angry with this disease. Sorry for ranting!

I have looked into the Pagets thing but does anyone know if this always starts on the nipple? Mine is just below the areola. I have tried to google pics but nothing looks like mine as they are all quite advanced.

Katie, thanks for the referral info link.

Keep feeling for the lump in the vague hope it has gone but its still there - grr.

Sheri xxx

Hi Sheri,

Try not to think the worst, but i know its hard not to! I also keep feeling my boob to check if the lump is still there. Thankfully your G.P has acted quickly and you will not be left in limbo not knowing whats going on for too long. You might of read my woes about my G.P making me wait 2 weeks to see if it goes, obviously it hasn’t!

I know what you mean about having to go back to work and act like nothing is bothering you. I have had to do that at college.

Have you told anyone else other than your hubby? i tried to keep it a secret but my whole family found out thanks to my grandma (bless her…long story!)

Don’t wear yourself out researching breast conditions too much, and remember that the internet is VERY deceiving.

Remember that everyone here will offer you support

let us know how it goes

xx

Hi Sheri
I have pagets. If I didnt have the discharge, I wouldnt have known. The nipple is sort of flattened as well, compared to the other one, and the discharge looks a bit creamy and dried.
I dont have any lumps. However, they found some microcalcifications just behind the nipple - and area of about 18mm.

There are other things that could be causing your problem though - it doesnt need to be the worst. It could be something causes by breastfeeding and something easily explanable.
A blocked duct?

Lisa

Sorry to hear that you are having to be referred. I would advise about reading too much information on the internet at this stage - it’s so easy to read stuff and talk yourself into the worst case scenario. Remember that 9 out of 10 lumps turn out to be nothing to worry about. I hope you are one of hte 9 out of 10 club.

Don’t apologise for ranting or rambling on … this is the place to do that, we’ve all done it and probably all will do it again.

This site is fantastic for support.