New member of the diagnosed club

So I got diagnosed yesterday - fortunately only grade 1, unfortunatly there are 4 seperate lesions. Fortunately the ultrasound of my armpit looks clear, unfortunately I am told that this is not conclusive. Fortunately there is a simple solution, unfortuatley it is a mastectomy. so mastectomy is booked, family has been told and now it is a 3 week wait. Not sure I want to go to work at the moment but unsure as to whether i should get signed off as sick (which I obviously could be as I have cancer) or if i should take leave and then be signed off after surgery. it is all so confusing
Nic x

Hi nic, sorry to hear of your diagnosis it really is a sucky time in the beginning and feels like a lot of waiting around. I found going back to work whilst waiting for my surgery was a great help to keep my mind from wandering down horrible dark paths. I work with a great bunch of girls who were really supportive and we sometimes had a little breakdown in the office but they all understood and helped me greatly. If you can go back and you like your job I think it s the best thing to do and save your sick leave for after surgery when you will need it more. Good luck on your journey, sending you lots of positive thoughts xx

Ni Nic

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Nic
I tend to agree with jlr. Work is a good distraction and whilst at the moment you are going to be feeling emotional and a bit all over the place you probably feel fine psychically.
I had a mx and ANC and really needed a good 5/6 weeks off after my op to recover. The anc is more restrictive so hopefully if your nodes are clear you may be back quicker. Take this time to organise yourself and get prepared for after the mx. This involves a bit of shopping!! V shaped pillows, stretchy vest tops, button through shirts and pj’s for starters. Give the house a good clean and get the washing and ironing up to date. Bulk cook some yummy meals. All good distractions.
Then after your op, put your feet up, let other people do things for you and take your time to recover. Good luck and keep us up to date on how you get on. If you ever want to chat or ask anything personal pm me anytime.
Big hugs
Emma xx

Hi Nic, I was diagnosed recently as well. DCIS with microinvasions. I have a 58mm mass so like you need a MX. I am having a SNB & immediate reconsrtuction as well. I have mine on 1st July, do you have a date yet?
I am a fitness instructor & personal trainer & am going to keep working till I go in for the op. I am mostly self employed so no work no pay lol.
I dont know how long I will need off afterwards as my job is so active.
I hope you are feeling ok today & if you ever want to chat please feel free to PM me.
It would be good to talk to someone going through the the same thing.
Take care & big hugs xx