New on here today, and have an appointment on 1st October at the Breast Clinic

I am new on here today, and have an appointment on 1st October at the Breast Clinic.  I went to GP after finding a lump under my arm and also experiencing an achy booby and also discharge from nipple.  She put me under an urgent 2 week referal (but I hear that is pretty standard)  I have been told I have to allow 4 hrs for my appointment, anybody have any idea what tests they will do.   I am 44, have 2 girls aged 3 and 5 and cant have anymore kiddies.  Doctor has ruled out hormonal changes, but there is family history.

Sharon

Hi and welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication ‘Your breast clinic appointment’ which I hope you find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Sharon

So sorry to hear you are in this situation. 

The  usual procedure is for them to give you what is called a triple assessment. 

1. Manual examination by nurse practioner

2. Mammogram

3. Ultra sound scan and if needed, a biopsy.

For the biopsy they will give you a local anaesthetic so it won’t hurt.  Unless your clinic is a ‘one stop clinic’ you will get your results 1 - 2 weeks later. I’m sending big hugs, and hoping for a good outcome for you.

poemsgalore xx

Hello :womanhappy:

I attended my  first appointment at the breast clinic yesterday after being referred by my doctor who found a breast lump .  I am 34 with strong family history.     My clinic was a one stop.  I was examined by the consultant who was lovely and put me at ease.  I was then given a mamogram and anultra sound.   Thankfully I was diagnoised with a cyst and need no more treatment.  The consultant has referred me to a family history clinic so hopefully I will be given scans for early detection in the future.    I was glad my husband came with me for support.    I hope it goes well for you , everyone in the clinic was very nice and supportive which you need at this worrying time.     The waiting was the worst part work kept me busy and I tried to stay positive.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.