Newbee-breast clinic tomorrow, sick with nerves.

Hi
I found a lump whilst showering last Thursday and went straight to the doctors as it was big and seemed to have come up overnight. I asked her to tell me straight if it looked bad and she said it did as it was hard and didn’t move freely. She referred me to the clinic and they sent me an appointment for 6th June. I, like others, was in a strange state as my body responded to the shock, it was sort of surreal and I couldn’t think about anything else. I was dreading telling my kids and went through every emotion possible.
After a few days my body started behaving more normally and I was able to eat again. I started trying to take control and read up on diet etc (a minefield!) but needed to feel I was doing something. Anyway, this morning I thought I can’t go through this for another week so I phoned the clinic and asked that if there was any cancellations could I possibly be seen earlier. A lovely lady rang back saying she had one for tomorrow morning so I jumped at it. I then decided to tell my children (1 at home, 2 in their 20’s) which was the worst thing i have ever had to do and set me up for a massive sobbing session afterwards. However, I felt better afterwards as the thing I had been dreading was done and they have been amazingly supportive already even though in shock.
Now, after all the positive thinking of today I have relapsed into a worry about tomorrow. It’s made it too real and I can’t switch my mind off of it again. My husband is coming with me but to be honest is in a worse state than me. I have read what to expect but would love any reassurance anyone could give me to calm me down.
Thank you-it helps to write things down.

Dear ambercatz

Welcome to the forum although I am sorry you find yourself in this position. Members on here often mention that the waiting is the worst part and I’m sure you will find a lot of support on here.

You could also talk things over with our Helpliners who can offer practical information as well as emotional support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Fingers crossed for you x

Hoping your appointment goes ok. If you can get somebody to go with to help listen, and preferably take notes, it is extremely useful. Otherwise the tendency is to get paralyzed processing one word or phrase, and them miss the next ten!!

Fingers and everything crossed for you. Let us know eh?!! xxx

Hi. Good lick for today. As Morwenna says take someone with you for support. Once you know what you are up against you will hopefully feel calmer
Take care
Emma x

Whoops! I mean Luck! Xx

Hi Ambercatz

I was dx in October 2012. My lump was quite soft and moveable, but still turned out to be cancer. I don’t think the feel of the lump will tell you anything. Thinking of you at your appointment today and hope all goes well. Please come back and let us know what happened.

Poemsgalore xxx

Thank you all for your support. I had a needle biopsy and then was sent for a mammogram and she found the nodes were swollen so I had 6 needle biopsies taken which was completely painless after the local. Back to doc who basically said it looks like cancer (in a much nicer way than that) and I now have to wait a week for results. I was actually amazingly calm as I was pretty sure of the diagnosis myself so it wasn’t a shock and I had gone into shock earlier when I went to the GP and she said it looked bad as it was hard and immovable. I had told my children yesterday and that was actually harder than anything else but their support helped me today.
The good news is that the other breast looks clear. The lump is 3.4cm and she took biopsis from 3 nodes-didn’t think to ask if only 3 were affected-duh! It’s just a case of fingers crossed now and keeping positive until next week.
The doctor did say they may do chemo first and then the surgery. I hate the thought of chemo as I hate being sick. I thought they would do a lumpectomy first and then chemo-does anyone know why they do it the other way round or have you had treatment like this? What is the norm.
As expected I now have lots of questions but will write them all down for next week and meanwhile just hope it hasn’t spread elsewhere. Everybody at the hospital were lovely which helped me keep positive.
I am glad there’s somewhere like this to talk to others who have been or are going through it as it really helps.
Thanks again
Ambercatz

our circumstances are near on identical, my tests are on the 6th June and I’m going out of my mind with worry. Had exactly the same response from my eldest kids but at least they are prepared. I hope you got on ok today and hope you give us an update soon x