Newbie and recently diagnosed with G3 invasive ductal carcinoma

Hello all,
I’ve never joined an online group before and certainly didn’t envisage it ever being this one! How life springs things upon us. I have been reading though some of the entries and so comforting to know I’m not alone, how alone you feel when you hear those dreaded words for the first time in clinic. I was diagnosed last week and following an MRI they have found a further area of concern in the same breast i am waiting again now for those results before I receive the plan for my surgery, at this moment I don’t know if it will be lumpectomy or mastectomy, but I’m preparing myself for the latter. Hope to speak with many of you through my journey and gain some strength from others and where I can offer some back. Speak soon?

Hello Nicky. I thought I’d just let you know my story. I was diagnosed with a 50mm invasive ductal carcinoma with infected lymph nodes last December. Had my first dose of chemo a week before Christmas, and was bald by New Year!

I had 6 x FEC-T chemo, then a mastectomy and ancillary node clearance, then 3 weeks of radiotherapy, which all finally finished in July this year. I had various scans through my treatment to check everything was ok, then again at the end, and I was given the all clear finally in September. I just have to take Tamoxifen (possibly moving onto an alternative after a few years) for the next 5-10 years, as my cancer was 8/8 ER+. That’ll make more sense to you soon.

Next year, I’ll be able to discuss reconstruction surgery with my surgeon. It’s a major operation, but I want to have it done. I’m 48 and remained fit and “healthy” throughout my treatment, so I feel that I’ll be able to cope with it. Having said that, losing a breast hasn’t affected my life at all really. My silicon prosthesis looks 100% authentic under clothing. The initial weeks after the op, before I could wear a silicon prosthesis were difficult. You are given a soft padded prosthesis to wear inside a normal bra, but it’s too light and doesn’t look realistic or even. I learned about an online charity called Knitted Knockers and asked them to help out and they mailed me some knitted prostheses which were better than the softie, but still didn’t look right.

So that’s an insight into the road ahead. You come out the other side of it all eventually. I feel better now than I have in years, and am eternally grateful to the NHS and all the doctors and nurses who helped me get through it all.

Hi Nicky and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here, please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to more information and support ideas from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank u so much for your reply and taking the time to tell your story. What a journey you have had and how amazing you have come out the other end feeling so good, that is really comforting to know, I wish you luck for your next op and hope all goes well. I am just praying for a positive prognosis now and get the ball rolling with my surgery/treatment and road to recovery!! I am 41 and have so much I want to do with my life.? thanks again…

Thank you!

I too was diagnosed with a Grade 3 ductal carcinoma.   I am now on weekly doses of chemotherapy

to bee followed by radiotherapy.  I have had some side efects with the chemo but have got

most of them sorted out I now have trouble sleeping because of painful feet!   Has anyone had the

same problem ?