Newbie, surgery tomorrow

Newbie, surgery tomorrow

Newbie, surgery tomorrow Hello everyone

I am new to the site, having been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma on 22 May, and due to have the tumour and all my lymph glands removed tomorrow.

I’m very frightened, and like most people on here never imagined that ‘people like me’ gor cancer. I have found reading the forums inspiring and helpful, so thank you everyone who has been sharing their thoughts.

Here is a quote from Kafka that I have found helpful to me:

“Many complain that the words of the wise are merely parables and of no use in daily life, which is the only life we have. All these parables really set out to say merely that the incomprehensible is incomprehensible, and we know that it is already. But the cares we have to struggle with every day, that is a different matter.”

Good luck Hi flyright,

Just wanted to wish you well for your op tomorrow. I had a mastectomy and total node clearance in March and found the whole experience to be really ok and doable. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I recovered and how little pain I was in. I had imagined getting morphine pumped into me constantly, and it only just taking the edge off, but thankfully I was very wrong! Paracetamol did the job for most of the time. Don’t want to nag but be sure to do all your post-op exercises regularly, they really do help!

All the best for tomorrow and I wish you a speedy recovery. Be sure to let us know how you get on,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Thank you Kelly, it is lovely to have your support and what you say is very encouraging.

I have been doing the arm exercises already, just so I know what they *should* feel like! I live on my own, so I am expecting to have to do things for myself most of the time, and although I have various friends and family to help me this weekend, I am almost looking forward to seeing how well I can manage.

I am not looking forward to the results and subsequent treatment, but one step at a time.

Thanks for your encouragement and I will be back to let you know how I get on.

Take care,

Deborah

Hi Deborah

Just wanted to wish you well for your op.

I had my mastectomy & nodes in January this year. Like Kelly it was easier than I thought it was going to be, I was actually in hospital for 11 days because of a bad wound infection post op so I thought I would have found it harder than I did. I was able to get back to my normal jobs and chores easily within a month post op, just keep doing those exercises and you will be fine.

Take care.

Lynn x

Hi Deborah,

Just wanted to say that I will be thinking of you on Friday.

I had 2 WLE’s last July and September and had a masectomy in October. This was followed by 6 chemo sessions as I had 2 out of 14 lymph galnds affected and 25 rad sessions.

You will be given some excercises to doafer your op, please do them, they really help. The best bit if advice is to listen to your body and rest when it tells you to.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care & best wsihes

Jan

Good Luck Hi

Just wishing you good luck tomorrow! It’s a shame you have had to join us, but welcome anyway I’m sure you will find lots of support and good advice on here.

Your quote reminded me of a card that my friend sent me after my first chemo, it had a chinese proverb on the front " let the birds of sadness fly overhead, but don’t let them nest in your hair" As my friend lives abroad the card arrived a couple of weeks later which coincided with the day I finally said goodbye to my hair! She was so apologetic when I told her, but in fact she needn’t have been, it kept me amused all day! (I have since also heard of people putting their hair outside for the birds to take to line their nests with!)

Take care and hope the op goes OK (I haven’t had mine yet so can’t offer advice, I opted to have the chemo first)

Nicky xx

Hi Deborah,

I would just like to wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Try to stay positive and listen to your body.

Good luck

al the best for tomorrow. I had hardly any pain after mascectomy just needed a couple of paracetamol. Keep in touch when you come out. good luck Eileen

Thank you Nicky, Jan and Lynn too for your very kind words - they are much appreciated - I know I am very lucky to have found this place.

I will definitely be putting my hair out for the birds! I was not offered the option of chemo first though so now I have caught hold of something to worry about - does it make a big difference? I guess it is too late to change my mind…

had surgery three days ago I was in on Monday this week and got out of hospital the next day. I had a mastectomy. I was previous in hospital in dec and had a lumpectomy and node clearance. ~Both times I recovered well and didnt feel bad. This week there was also a woman who had surgery the same day as me and was up dressed and walking about the next day and she was 60 years old where as I am 41. Age is no excuse. If you feel positive it will help you. Just get out of bed girl as soon as you feel like you can. Dont push yourself too much . Positive attitude will get you through all of this. Good luck Love Catriona xxxx

Post-op Thanks everyone, how lovely you all are. I’ve had my op now and as everyone said it is much easier than I thought it would be. I started doing the arm exercises when I got out of recovery amd have been doing them ever since - my arm just feel a bit numb but otherwise I’m using it normally.

I would love to be able to tell other people facing the same thing that it is not as bad as you fear - but I know from my experience that it is very difficult to believe this until you have done it yourself.

Best wishes to everyone reading this - results on 19 June (eek) and I will stay in touch.
Deborah