newly confirmed BRCA2 - not coping

newly confirmed BRCA2 - not coping

newly confirmed BRCA2 - not coping Hello.
I was confirmed as being BRCA2 positive on Thursday, and wanted to ask how you all stopped yourselves going mad with worry!?
My sister died last year aged 42, I am 38 so now I have been confirmed I cant sleep for panic attacks that I have already got it, and wont cope well with treatment.
Hospitals scare me to death.
I dont know how to break the cycle of worry that begins at night, even though I am fairly calm during the day.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jane

Hi Jane, sorry to hear you tested postive. I’m really sorry to hear about your sister too - you must miss her. You are amongst friends here and I’m sure you will get lots of replys. It’s understandable that you feel the way you do. I too am a BRCA2 mutant and my mum is currently terminally ill with secondaries so I know a little of what you are going through.

I am taking anti-depressants to help with the anxiety. I would strongly recommend that you visit your GP to discuss your feelings and to see if there is anything they can help with. Also, you might like to see if you can start on a counselling route. It may benefit you greatly.

There is another site that us mutants use and those with unconfirmed status but with a strong family history. Have a look and you might also find support from here. They are a mad bunch but they keep you sane! phpbbserver.com/breastcancer/
I haven’t been on there long myself but they make you feel very welcome and they offer great advice and support.

I’m sure I’ll see you around on this forum or the other one. Take care of yourself.

Best wishes

Kim

Helpline Hi Jane

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time, please feel free to contact out free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000 if you would like to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment.
The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so callers get to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues they’re facing.
The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

Kind regards

Forum Host

Breast Cancer Care

Hi Jane Hi Jane

Sorry you are having to join our “club”

I too am BRAC2, I am 32 and having preventative surgery in January.
Whilst this is not something I am looking forward to, I see it as a positive thing (whilst being worried about surgery of course - yikes)

It is hard to come to terms with, although I have known about the mutation for 7 years when my mum was tested. However I only took the test in August once I had researched and decided what I would do if it were positive.

There are a number of us on the other site as Kim mentioned… (thanks for your kind words Kim !!!) Please join us, you will get lots of support there, we have a private forum too which is great and are having our first meeting this weekend, which we are all looking forward to. There are a few of us having surgery next year, others who have had surgery and those who are undecided, so we are a mixed bunch ! ( As well as being slightly mad)

Take care
Lisa xx

thanks for your kindness & MRI query Thanks for your kind messages. I have now been offered counselling and hypnotherapy(?). It was a shock, and I think it brought back my grief for my sister. I am doing better, with antidepressants.
I will also look at the other forum.
My local healthtrust does not offer MRIs as its too costly - does anyone have experience of how to get one done in this case?
Jane

BRCA2 Hi Jane

I am 24 and found out that I have the BCRA2 gene . My mum died in her early 30’s with breast cancer in 1990. And i have been seen every year since 18 at the hospital for check ups, I got the genitic test done last year and found out that i also have the BRCA2 gene in August last year. I have been at diffrent hospitals and my own doctor as i have been told to have surgery to remove both breasts then get reconstruction. I have just seen the plastic surgeon who says I dont have enough fat on my tummy or back and therefore will have to get implantes. I am really scared but I know it will be for the best as I have a 4 year old daughter and I dont want her to grow up without a mother the way I did.

Kind Wishes

Caroline
XX

Just do it Hello Jane,

I am so sorry you find yourself here. I lost both my Mum, Grandmother and Auntie to this nasty disease. I watched them suffer. I to was diagnosed with BC at the age of 30. I had a bilateral mastectomy (my choice as only one breast affected but decide I didnt want the risk of going through it again), chemotheraphy (not a walk in the park but do-able) then reconstruction with silcone implants, tamoxifen and all the rest.

At the end of the day you are in charge of your own body. Yet I would becon you to seriously consider preventive surgery. Okay its not a 100% guarentee but If I could turn the clock back, advoided Chemo, the stress, and the risk of spread in the future, I would.

I put off preventive surgery during my 20s because I always thought that I might fall on the 1 in 5 chance that it wouldnt touch me but in the end I fell on the 4 in 5 chance that it did.

Please dont be afraid. Take control and put it all behind you. See the surgery as a new powerful you. Have a reduction or a enlargement! I know its not quite like tha,t but you need to see the positive side and take charge.

All my love

Stella
x