Newly diagnosed and new to the forums

Hi everyone, I’ve just discovered the forums here, although I’ve browsed through the site previously. Been reading some of the posts and my thoughts go out to everyone who’s been diagnosed. It’s a real shock, I know. I went to the doctor above 6 weeks ago as I (by pure chance!) felt a small lump in my breast. It hurt a bit and researching on the web the information I read generally suggested that usually cancerous lumps aren’t painful. Well that was wrong in my case. Scans at the hospital revealed both invasive and non-invasive DCIS and the lump turned out to be cancerous. When I was first told I had DCIS I couldn’t believe it. All my life I have been generally fit and well, and have never been in hosptial for anything more than a blood test or x-ray. So the prospect of not just having cancer but having to go through surgery etc. scared me so much, and I was also angry at having to be in this situation.
I won’t go though my entire experience . I’m due for a mastectomy in 3 weeks. It’s been a few weeks of an emotional rollercoaster: ‘what if’s’, 'why’s and ‘why me’s’. I’m glad though that I didn’t spend too much time looking things up on the internet. Some of the stories and viewpoints (not from sites like this one), can just scare you even more. I waited first to speak to the nurses and consultant, and then sought extra information. That worked well for me.
I think mentally and emotionally I’m in a fairly good place at the moment. Still a bit scared about going into hospital, even though I got as much information as I could about what to expect, and the breast care nurses have been fantastic in supplying info. But I realised also that I had to accept my situation. Being angry about it or trying to run away from it wouldn’t help me. In accepting it I have found some strength and determination. I’m determined this will not make my life worse, and I feel more mentally positive about going through the op and recovery. It can be done! As so many other women before me have done. I am so fortunate that my cancer was caught early, and have good friends and family to support me so I’m really grateful for that.
Anyway, must stop rambling! Just wanted to introduce myself and share some of my experience. And say a big thank you to breast cancer care for this site!

Dear Helm

Welcome to the forums though sorry you need to be here.

I am sure you will be receiving lots of support and encourgament from our fantastic online community very soon.

In the meantime, if you do have any questions or would like some extra support, please call our freephone helpline on 0808 800 6000 Monday to Friday 9-5 and Saturyday’s 10-2.

Best wishes

Anna

Welcome to the forums Anna although it’s a club that nobody wants to belong to we are a happy bunch feel free to share your experiences we have broad shoulders and good listening ears you sound like you are in a good place and are a strong lady much like me cross each bridge as you come to it and don’t Google anything take care!! Yours louisex