newly diagnosed with breast cancer

newly diagnosed with breast cancer

newly diagnosed with breast cancer I was diagnosed with breast cancer on the 15th may after having a lumpectomy four weeks ago. Origonally diagnosed as Non Hodgkins Lymphoma but pathologists have now changed their minds. Have already got two new lumps which Oncologist says are Tumours so start Chemo next week followed by full Masectomy then Radiotherapy. I have no close family or friends just three dogs so feel in shock and very alone. Sorry for whingeing.

Hi Valxx

Don’t apolgise for whingeing - you are more than allowed to :wink:

Sorry you have had to join us on here, but I can assure you that we all know how you feel and will do our very best to wecome you, offer support and advice if you need any.

I hope your doggies are looking after you? When I started my chemo my hubby worked away from home so my ‘many’ dogs looked after me! It was great getting hugs and cuddles from them when I was feeling a bit low.

Had my Mastectomy in January and I feel I have bounced back from it and was back to doing my normal jobs and riding my horses 8 weeks post op. Hope you get on ok with your chemo , that was the worst bit for me.

Good luck.

Lynn x

Dear valxx I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I am sure you will continue to receive lots of helpful advice and support from the other forum users, in addition, you are welcome to contact our freephone helpline on 0808 800 6000 where you are able to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment. We also have many other services which you may find of help at the moment. You say in your post you have no one close to you and are feeling alone, you may find our ‘Peer support’ service helpful too and the helpliners will be able to provide you with the details of this and other support systems which you can access. The line is open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm

Breast Cancer Care have recently published a Resources Pack which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can download it from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind Regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

newly diagnosed llynnt

Thanks for your message. My dogs give me a lot of love and licks but unfortunately cant talk back. I start chemo next thursday not fec as I was first told but a much stronger one as my cancer is agressive and I am reasonably fit and young (at 52?). I think they said it was tac.
Good to read you felt ok within weeks of op it gives me hope.

Thanks

val

New Friends Hi Val

You say you have no close family or friends - well you have just landed yourself with lots of new friends on this site, like family and friends there is always someone on here to talk to. Dont feel alone, we are all here for each other.

I’m now 9 months post diagnosis, mastectomy, chemo all done and dusted - the time will fly by. I used this site all the time, it was my lifeline and I dont think I could have managed without it. I also have a dog (golden retreiver) if your dogs and anything like mine they also get you through it, they dont realise you feel crap some days so still demand their walks but once out and about you can forget bc for a while.

Take Care

Clare
X

welcome val-sorry you have to join our little family-all 44000 of us per yr!we will offer as much support as we can-you dont have to be alone with this.only way is to think well its been found and you can do something proactive now.take care lots of love sharon x

For Val Dear Val

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but just wanted to join everyone who says you will find friends in this club, even if you didn’t want to join it. I was diagnosed on 16 April and finally go for the mastectomy and recon on Tuesday 22nd. None of this is fun but you have to believe it will end sometime. The thing I really hate is that it seems to take over your life and thoughts. Your dogs will help though - my cats certainly do. Need to get well again to look after them!

Do use this site! you will find it a real lifeline.

Sending you best wishes my dear

Dilys

Hi Val,

Sorry you have had to join us but glad you did. This site has helped me feel less alone during the diagnosis and treatment - may not be over for me yet more results due on the 29th May. You will amaze yourself with how strong you are when needed. Use the site and whinge all you like as those of us who have been there or are still there truly understand. I think being fit will help with coping with the tough times. I have two dogs quite ageing border collies - one of them (the female) has become my shadow almost as she follows me from room to room - she never used to prior to my ops - she was definitely my husband’s dog before my treatment started but now she is so biased towards me - I don’t know what she thinks but she seems to know I need her more I suppose - very sensitive in fact a lot more sensitive than some of my human friends! So make the most of your hairy friends. Keep posting and keep us posted so that we know you are doing ok,

all the best Chloexx

Thanks everyone Thanks to everyone who has replied. My three dogs are two middle aged females a German Shepherd and a GSD/Collie/Lurcher cross and a three year old boy Beagle. Since I found the lump they have all become more clingy, the girls lying by my chair and the boy sitting on my lap whenever he can, he did this when I was diagnosed with Dermatomyositis last year. They are a bit miffed as I have had to eject them from the bedroom. They do seem to know when you need them. Reading everyones posts is very reassuring that things do get better.

thanks again to everyone Val

Hallo Val Dear Val

Your dogs sound great. Just to wish you a quiet night and all the strength in the world. You really are not alone. We are all here to support you.

Take care my love and sleep well

Much love

Dilys

For Val Hi Val,

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and you are not whinging at all. I am now 6 months post mastectomy and all treatment and am now looking forward to having my reconstruction in September.
I was the biggest whinger but it is good to let your feelings out. You have lots of friends on this forum thinking of you. Let us know how it all goes and remember we are all here for you.

Sending love and hugs xx

hi val sorry you have to join us but you will get through it I had my masectomy in January and I get my 6th chemo next wednesday only 2 to go now and iy has gone so quick. I am sorry you are alone a lot of us have husbands and family and we are still alone. My husband doesnt know how to deal with it he is very quiet and doesnt say a lot even when I am having a bad day and shouting at him he doesnt even answer back.I have got a little Jack Russell named Ben and he is my soulmate he comes to bad with me as I spend a lot of time in my room I have always worked so I find it hard having all this time to myself. I have just moved back to Scotland in November after living in Birmingham for 28 years. I was only here a week when I found the lump so it was a shock.If there is anything you want to ask then dont hesitate as the people on here are great they will give you advice on anything you wish to know. I will be thinking of you. Love Linda xxx

just had first chemo Had my first chemo today, I had TAC Doxorubicin, Docetaxel (Taxotere) and Cyclophosphamide. Started the steroids yesterday so no sleep last night. I got a sore throat while having Chemo so they kept the saline going for an extra thirty minutes. My dogs were glad to see me home and am glad to have the first lot over with.

val

steriods Hi Val

Did you take the steriods before mid-day, that was the advise that I was given. I did find it difficult to “switch off”, but was able to get a few hours sleep.

Sarah x

steroids Yes I did take my steroids by lunch time. Had a reasonable night last night so things looking up. My dogs are a great help though they wont leave me alone if I doze off they nudge me to see if I’m ok.

val

Beam me up Scottie. Hello everyone, I can’t beleive I’m typing these lines to people I don’t know but I’ve had such a bad weekend that I thought it would help if I tried to put things into words.

I was diagnosed with BC on 17th April and encouraged by the fact that my lump measured less than 2cms. and that treatment would be a WLE with lymph nodes taken for testing. This would probably be followed up with Radiotherapy and tablets. I had come at the right time. That didn’t sound too bad.

Amazingly my op was only a few days away on the 20th April and then with a sore and swollen breast and armpit likewise (all in a good cause) I turned up for the follow-up report on the 2nd. May.

What a BLOW when the surgeon explained that the lump had been larger than expected, though the surrounding tissue was clear and one of the four lymph nodes taken was affected. This was a whole new ball-game with a different outlook as to treatment. The oncologist recommended a list of scans, liver, heart, bones and a chest X-ray. Chemo, then radiotherapy then tablets were to follow.
Stunned and a bit numb it wasn’t until I was home that the reality sank in. I researched BC and treatments on the internet and read lots of the BCC Chat forum postings. Things became more accepable and plans were made… Holiday booked for July cancelled… Started collecting colourful scarved for bald head… 14" TV with integral DVD player bought for those expected can’t get out of bed days… Urgent jobs done around the house and garden.

The big day arrived for Chemo… May 23rd. I arrived with mags and drinks etc. Then the BOMBSHELL ! The oncologist explained that although my heart, liver and chest scans/X-rays were clear the bone scan had shown an area causing concern! This area is where a rib meets the spine. I was shocked, didn’t expect to hear this, I only had EARLY BC !
I needed an MRI scan and was referred to Glasgow. I am still waiting to hear of an appointment. Encouragement was given on the lines that this might only be an area of wear and tear, a bit of arthritis etc. but after having the alternative choice of treatment explained to me if this turns out to be a “deposit” from the BC I think the MRI scan is just to confirm what they believe to be a secondary BC or METS.

It’s nearly SIX weeks since my op and as I have had NO treatment at all I’m really worried that cancer cells will be spreading all over the place.
I think I’d be in line for an OSCAR for the confidence and positivity displayed for family and friends but I am so scared of what might be to come.

SO to all those on chemo or about to start after a WLE things aren’t as bad as you think.
I wish you all the health and good luck that the the future can bring and I’ll be following your stories .

I put this posting under Newly Diagnosed but really I’m in limbo at the moment and might be moving onto Secondary BC all too soon. It feels as though I’m on a slippery slope with nothing to hold onto!

Love for now, Dollybird x.

Message for Dollybird I am sorry about your results and diagnosis, I had the same problem with a bone scan showing a suspect on my left hip but after the MRI it turned out to be nothing. I have had 6 x chemo WLE sentinel node biopsy which was clear and Radiotherapy and Tamoxifen.

I hope everything turns out okay and keep us posted on your situation.

Sherryll xx

New to this Hi All

I am new to this so please excuse me, i got diagnosed on thursday 31.05.07, I have to go for bone scan, liver scan and chest x-ray on Tuesday. Dont really know what is happening. if anyone could shed light .thanks

For Angie0101 Hello Angie

Welcome to the forums where I am sure you will get lots of help and support from the many informed users of this site.

As you are newly diagnosed you may be interested in receiving one of BCC’s new publications our Resources Pack it’s full of useful information and has room for you to write notes and reminders for yourself. The link to order the Rescources Pack (which is free, as are all BCC publications) is as follows:
breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=7514

If you would like to speak to someone in confidence then please contact the BCC freefone helpline on 0808 800 6000 the staff here are either breast care nurses or trained helpliners who have experience of breast care issues. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of help to you.

Kind regards
BCC Host