newly diagnosed

Hi i was diagnosed last Friday at the moment i am nursing my mother who is pallative with breast cancer and i am absouletly terrified i am 35 years old i am awaiting to go in and have the lump removed but right now feel like running away and not having the operation, is this normal to feel like this??? any advice would be deeply appreciated x

Hi Lynn123

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you may find helpful. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence then the helpline team are here to support you through this, calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon - Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Resource pack:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Standards of care for younger women:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/younger-women/standards-care-younger-women-breast-cancer-bcc97

I hope these help. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

you will be fine,i had a lumpectomy and snb last wednesday and the surgery went well,i was glad to get it over with,i am waiting on my results now to find out what my next treatment is.This website is great though,especially to read about others who are goin through the same thing.I am 38 and got my diagnosis 2 days before Christmas,its all moved pretty quick for me.
Good luck xxx

Hi Lynn,

It is *completely* natural for you to feel this way, I know I did and I’m sure that’s true for most of us. It must be particularly hard given the situation with your mother!

I can’t add much more than to offer a <<<<big hug!>>>> and remember that you will find lots of support here whenever you need it.

Nymeria xx

Hi Lynn,

I am 34 and was diagnosed 7 months ago. I lost my mother and grandmother to breast cancer and know how terribly sad and difficult it is to watch your loved ones suffer - and also how terrifying when you see how it can affect you.

HOWEVER, most of us will beat this - and that’s what you need to concentrate on - both for yourself and for your mother. The surgery is usually straightforward and easy - and the treatment will not be nearly as bad as you imagine. We will be here to support you and also to offer advice and answer any questions you might have.

x

Hi Lynn,

I completely understand why you’d say that but i promise you, you’ll find the strength from somewhere to deal with this. Everyone on here will support you through it - hang on in there, the beginning is by far the worse bit but you’ll get there. So so sorry about your mum - sending you a big cuddle.

Lynnx

thank you everyone have just told my 2 young daughters aged 8 and 9 years my eldest at 15yrs already knew can honestly say it the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life!!
Putting my positive head on now and going to fight as hard as i can for them xx