Not sure about implant

Not sure about implant

Not sure about implant Hi
I had an immediate recon after a mastectomy in Feb. I am almost finished rads and finding the implant uncomfortable. I am not sure if I have done the right thing, the implant has been partially filled and is very high, I have to wear a light prosthesis and also pad the good side to match. I am quite small (34B) quite young (44) and fashion concious, it is hard to find nice things to wear that are not too low. I am beginning to regret the recon as I think it would have been easier to deal with if I had just had the mastectomy. I want to be able to start excersising again soon to get back the fitness I had prior to treatment but am feeling very self concious.
I have a long way to go before the recon is finished and at the moment feel that people will always be able to tell because it will always look odd against the other side. Am I worrying needlessly, I should be happy that I have almost beaten this thing not down about how I look. I am finding that this is a difficult time and because I have no more treatment to focus on I am finding fault elsewhere.
Anne

Hi Ann I felt the same after my mastectomy and recon. I had the expander and then had the op to get the silicone implant put in. I am also small breasted, I was not happy with it, so I went back for a recon of the recon, but before I could get it done I went down with brain cancer. One brain op later and chemo for 6 sessions I then decided to get the breast done again, my surgeon wouldn’t touch me while having chemo). I am still not completely satisfied with it (and the surgeon is one of the best in Johannesburg) but I am seeing life in a completely different way. I am alive, the pain from my chest/recon isn’t that bad, although because he put the implant UNDER the chest muscle, (which he probably did with you ) there will always be discomfort and sometimes pain.

BUT I had my mastectomy in 2003, it is now 2007…I think these things take time. I do wish you luck though, keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on. Love Roz xx

To Roz Hi Roz
I am sorry to hear that you have been through so much. Just to read your post has helped, the expander is under the muscle and as radiotherapy has tightened it a little so it does feel uncomfortable but I have my last one tomorrow so things should settle down again soon. I see my surgeon in the next couple of weeks so I will try and ask him about all the things that are worrying me, I will also ask about the possibility of making both sides match. The mastectomy for me was bit of a shock as I had a lumpectomy but they didn’t get a clear margin, I suppose I panicked and that is why I went for the recon but I will persevere and hopefully all will be ok.
Take care of yourself and thank you. Love Anne x