Oncotype DX Test

Hi all
I’m really sorry if this is wrong place for this question. I had mastectomy 4 weeks ago with 1 sentinel node out of 2 infected. Further ANC has shown 1 out of 7 nodes infected. Because below 3 my consultant is sending my tumour to USA for onco testing to see if chemotherapy beneficial to me or not. My cancer is stage 2 oestrogen positive her2 negative, was 6cm by 3 cm so a big one!
My question is whether anyone else had this testing? If so what happened? I’m almost terrified it’ll come back as low scored and chemotherapy not done and it comes back! Silly really as you’d think I’d want to avoid chemo completely but I’m scared! I’ve done a lot of research into onco test and it sounds very accurate but just wondered how others got on with it.

Thanks xxxxx

Hi benandflo

Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve only just seen your post.

I’m almost exactly the same as you and I had the Oncotype Dx Test.

I had an 18mm grade 2 tumour with 1 out of 15 nodes affected (3mm), oestrogen positive, progesterone positive, HER2 negative.

My consultant asked if I wanted to be included in the OPTIMA trial but I asked for the Oncotype Dx test. However I was told that as I had 1 affected node I would have to fund this myself, which I greed to.

My score came back as 10, which is in the low score area.  My consultant therefore said no chemo. However I had done quite a lot of research in the meantime.  In the OPTIMA trail, which is a blind trial, half the ladies would receive chemo, and the other half would have a test similar to the Oncotype Dx test and depending on the results of the test would either have chemo or not.  Therfore, 3/4 ladies in the trial were likely to have chemo.  My thinking was if my consultant was happy for me to have chemo as part of the trial then I had doubt in my mind about not having chemo.  I discussed it with him and asked him to ask his colleagues what they thought.  He asked each of them independently and they all gave the same answer which was this - whilst they wouldn’t recommend chemo with that score, neither would they refuse it if the patient wanted it.

In the end I felt I couldn’t take the risk due to the one affected lymph node because I felt the cancer was already on the move.  Therefore I opted for chemo and have had 3 cycles of FEC-T so far with 3 still to go.

It’s really about what decision you can live with and it’s such a presonal decision.  I have my family around me and they supported whatever decision I made.  I just couldn’t sleep for worrying until I made my decision and, once I had decided, I felt as though a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

But that’s me and you must do what’s right for you.  Sorry for rambling on but good luck with your decision and I hope this helps x

 

Hi benandflo - I’m waiting for my results too and have been for the past couple of weeks. Mine was only 8mm with clear nodes but a grade 3. However 21 years ago when I was in my 30s I had a 3cm grade 3 with 3 out of 10 nodes affected. I was automatically given 6 months of chemotherapy followed by tamoxifen for 5 years. I truly believe that this saved my life and I’ve just been unlucky that it’s reared it’s ugly head in my other breast again. I only had a WLI this time as opposed to a mastectomy last time and I must admit that I was dubious about just having the lump removed however my BCN assures me that the results are just as good. I’m not too concerned about having chemo again although I would prefer not to however if it’ll give me another 20+ years to see my grandaughters grow up then happy days! Good luck with your results and whatever decision that you make x