Op to remove nipple and new reconstucted nipple all at the same time!

Hi everyone, I had my op last Tuesday and I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had this procedure? I had to lose my left nipple as my lump was adhered to it, very close to the surface of my skin. They removed lump (8mm) and nipple and reconstructed a new nipple using existing skin attached to my breast? My scar goes down rather than across. i guess that I am lucky that my lump was so near the surface and I found it so soon, not that I feel lucky. Op results this Friday? Told it may be grade 1/2 but still feel sick with worry! 2 s/n taken as well. My nipple had started to invert as well, but only last two weeks before dx. Would love to hear from anyone who has had similar op just to compare notes on recovery time, further procedures etc? I believe this is quite a new procedure? Months ago I would of had to have a mastectomy? So luck was on my side again! Fantastic surgeons and reconstructive surgeon all working together! Look forward to hearing from someone soon, SarahX

Hi green room, I had a wide area excision and sentinel node biopsy on17 th June. I recovered from the surgery well. The wounds healed and the armpit was sore and numb for a while. I got a chest infection, which set me back weeks and I’m only just recovering from that. Unfortunately my results show that I now need a mastectomy. They are going to try to preserve the nipple and I will also have a tissue expander in. I haven’t been able to find out a huge amount about that part of the procedure, so will just go with the flow. Luckily my nodes are clear. I now don’t need radiotherapy as I’m having the mx, but they don’t know yet if I need chemo.
overall I would say it takes about a month to get back to normal, although I drove after 2 weeks. My car is an automatic, mind you. I found the emotional aspect if the is biggest thing that has floored me more than anything.
Good luck with your results, which I guess is a couple of weeks
Zuleika x

Greenroom, I had a left nipple made from my tummy button. I hope your SLN come back clear. You may want to buy a sheepskin seatblet cover for when you start driving. It’s more comfortable and displaces the weight that would fall across the breast. I bought mine online, nand the thicker and longer the better. Zuleika, my best to you as well and fingers crossed, no chemo for you. LB, x

Hi zuleika and LB, thanks for the feedback. I haven’t driven yet and the seatbelt cover sounds fab. How did your nipple look after op LB? And how long before it settled, circulation? Some of mine on tip has gone blue, the rest around outside is pink? surgeon doesn’t seem fazed, says he will put right? I will find out more on friday 26th july (this friday) Along with rest of results. The scar and emotional part is the hardest zuleika, I have to dress it myself daily and find it hard to look at, just worried I guess that new nipple won’t take? But it feels better every day that goes by, under arm is more sore than breast, strange that, more invasive on breast (just numb). Hope all is going well for you both? Take care and big hugs Sarah X

Hi zuleika and LB, thanks for the feedback. I haven’t driven yet and the seatbelt cover sounds fab. How did your nipple look after op LB? And how long before it settled, circulation? Some of mine on tip has gone blue, the rest around outside is pink? surgeon doesn’t seem fazed, says he will put right? I will find out more on friday 26th july (this friday) Along with rest of results. The scar and emotional part is the hardest zuleika, I have to dress it myself daily and find it hard to look at, just worried I guess that new nipple won’t take? But it feels better every day that goes by, under arm is more sore than breast, strange that, more invasive on breast (just numb). Hope all is going well for you both? Take care and big hugs Sarah X

Sarah, my nipple so far is normal, still round, no discolouring and little loss of projection. I go in next week for another surgery to reduce my reconstructed breast and make the circle of skin that the nipple was made from smaller to match the circumference of my healthy right areola. The nipple shape is different from the right and that is ok. My hips are wonky from a seroma on my right hip that developed from lipo to remove dog ears and that too might be smoothed next week. It takes time to sort out getting a reconstructed breast back on track and I did not understand that before my 1st. surgery last year. I’ve been in therapy for this past year for the emotional side of it all and that has moved me forward greatly. Waiting for results is not easy and the BCC helpline was a real help for me because I am not the most patient person in world. I hope only for the best for you tomorrow. LB,x

THANKYOU LB, will post tomoz night with my results? Feel strong tonight, hope I still do in the mornnight! keep intouch, it’s nice chatting…but I got to go to sleep, really important date in the morning with a sexy oncologist, night night xxxxxxxxx

Sarah, I’m thinking about you and hope all is well, LB, x

Hi LB, I am sorry that I did not get back to you last night, I had really good news, if having cancer can be good news but I was thrilled so celebrated a bit last night, with a couple of drinks and some fish and chips(only a small amount), lol. My results were - DCIS and IDC, 15mm with 2mm clear margin, e rec+ her2-, grade 2, stage 1, and 0/2 clear lymph nodes, so phew… Was prepared for the worst so was still in shock but in a nice way! Have oncologist on Tuesday for treatment plan, radiology and hormone treatment is being recommended and they are going to talk about chemo as I am only 44? But the percentage will be small and it will have to be my choice? Balance between benefit of having it and lifestyle. I think it’s quite normal this procedure of offering it to you and don’t think I will take it but will just wait to here what he has to say? Surgeon was happy with my nipple, just wants me to not wear bra for 10 days and it is so uncomfortable to not wear it, the scar I mean and the weight pulling on it, so I have devised a nipple protector out of my dressing so it doesn’t flatten nipple! Pretty cool, lol. So all round not bad results! Hope you are ok and having lovely weekend, I also had counselling on Thursday and it really helped. Take care and lots of love Sarah xxxxxxxxx

Good news Sarah. You are now faced with a few further decisions to make regarding treatment. A book that a member here on BCC forums guided me towards is titled: Breast Cancer Taking Control by Professor John Boyages MD, that was quickly sent to me on Amazon UK, is an excellent rescource that you may find as helpful as I have. LB, x

Hi LB, just wanted to THANKYOU for the advice about the book, I will order Monday and even if I don’t have by Tuesday, I don’t have to make the decision straight away, so can take time and read book first! Hope you have had a fun weekend? Lots of love Sarah xxxxxxxxxxxx