pain after nipple reconstruction

Hi there ladies.

I feel a little bit silly stating this but after a mastectomy, change of implant, reduction on other breast I am a week since a nipple reconstruction and am experiencing so much pain.  I cannot understand why as I have very little feeling in my breast as nerves were severed after the mastectomy, and yet it hurts so much.  Has anyone out there had a similar reaction to this op?  I saw a nurse at the hospital yesterday and apparently the end of the new nipple now has necrosis and it will eventually fall off.  I feel pretty low at the moment and am wondering if it was worth it.

My new plastic surgeon has said that I cannot have the tattoo until some lipo modelling has been done.  This is such a long road we have to go through - 2 years or more and counting.  I would appreciate any comments from you.  Regards Chris

Hi Chrisalex

Just wanted to send you some virtual ‘hugs’ as you sound pretty fed up.

I have not had the same issue with my reconstructed nipple, but over the 2 years since it was done, it  has gone VERY flat, almost like a bump now. However, once you get that tattoo done, it does make all the difference and adds a whole new dimension to the ‘breast’. Could your PS make some tweaks to yours when he does the lipomodelling i wonder?

Not sure why you are in pain Chrisalex, but do get checked over, it might be to do with the necrosis, i am not sure…

You are right, the journey is long and tough, there is light at the end of it though (you are speaking to one who has been through the recon journey a bit!).

Take care

Naz xxxx