Pain in arm

Pain in arm

Pain in arm Hi all

i have posted this on behalf of new user
ImeldaF2006

Best wishes
Breast Cancer Care

Does anyone have any advice or exercises [other than the ones given post mastectomy] or any help with painful area under the arm after mastectomy and lymphnodes removal?
.Theres a weird tingling and achey draggy pain, sometimes with sharp shooting pain.I m told it can be nerves going back together etc but does anyone have advice as to how to ease this please?
Many thanks I

Hello Imelda,

I am eight weeks post lumpectomy and lymph node clearance and five sessions into 19 radiotherapy. I had terrible pain following my op,weird tingling and aches as you describe with stabbing pains along my scar, under my breast, armpit and across my chest - this pain left my physically exhausted.

Onc, Surgeon and BC nurses were all largely unsympathetic and basically told me to get on with it. I took a combination of paracetamol and codeine (Solpadeine Max) every four hours which gave some relief, rested my arm on a pillow when sitting on the sofa and in bed at night and took warm showers which relaxed away some of the tension.

I don’t know how long it is since your op, but after a couple of weeks the whole area of my chest and armpit felt as it it had been scalded which only added to my misery! All of this is nerve pain which either resolves quickly or goes on for months.

I also had “cording” which is something to do with the lymph vessels being cut, this pain went right down my arm into my hand - in other words I was a total wreck.

My advice is to persevere with the exercises you have been given, take pain killers 20 minutes before you start - my husband brought them with my morning cuppa - and they will help you to gain mobility in your arm, otherwise you will “guard” your arm and it will become stiff and even more painful.

I sort of got used to all the pain and tried to get on with things as best I could, it does ease eventually, I promise.

Good luck,

Lollypop

Thankyou Lollypop Thankyou for your reply. I will take your advice and keep doing the exercises and rest on a pillow etc.It sounds like youve been through such alot, I am just uncomfortable.I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best.Keep positive and let us know your progress.
Many thanks Imelda

Difficult decisions how do you do them- please help Hi, am overwhelmed by descision. I have has lumpectomy and chemo. Next stage would be rads - 4 weeks. But … I had lobular cancer and am worried about it being missed in screening should it reccur. So I’ve been thinking about Mastectomy and implant reconstruction which would be instead of Rads, first on affected side and then later on the other. Is this mad??? My recurrance rate is moderate acording to statistics and I can’t tell if I’m acting on fear which will fade over time or fact.
I don’t want to ruin my quality of life through not being able to climb after surgery, but can’t find out how possible this would be, also don’t really know what implants are like to live with.

I have to decide soon to finish my treatment - help, feel like a luny at present

For Blonde Hello blonde

Could I suggest that you phone BCC’s freefone helpline as the nurses here will be able to talk through your concerns and may be able to find you more information with regard to climbing after surgery.

The number to phone is 0808 800 6000, the lines being open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this helps with your decisions.

Kind regards
BCC Host

Cleaning imaginary window exercise worked well for daughter and self.
You need animal fats [shock horror] for nerve repair - cream, pork chops, roast lamb, steak, butter - fish oils good for many things but no use for nerve repair.
Tuck in to and enjoy all those things you’re warned against -hope it feels easier soon, best wishes, dilly

thanks dilly I’d been wondering why I’ve been fancying cream teas and hot buttered crumpets. Now I know it was my body’s way of getting essential fats to repair the nerves following my lymph node operation.

Mmm, it’s telling me to eat some chocolate now.

Meg