Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

Just saw this thread and wondered if I could butt in! I’ve only been on anastrozole for a week I know but feel horrible…I’ve coped reasonably well with chemo so far and waiting for surgery but since taking them I feel nauseous…I’ve had no sickness with chemo…and dizzy and spacey all the time.don’t want to go out or eat much and I’ve been eating well.will this pass or would I be able to try something else?

I have had the joint pain from all 4 types of breast cancer drugs to the point I was practically crippled. My consultant finally admitted that this happened to 10% of woman in the trials who dropped out. After lengthy discussions with my oncologist I have decided that the 1.4% extra life expectancy it bought me statistically was  not worth the misery I was experiencing, and stopped all drugs. I feel so much better and I am sure the ability to exercise again is a huge health positive. Each decision about these drugs depends on the personal circumstances but the news this morning that someone wants to prescribe anastrozole as a preventative to healthy women makes me shudder.

Has anyone tried acupuncture / reiki / massage for your side effects? I’ve been advised it can minimise side effects. …advice?x

Had double mastectomy in June for stage 1 cancer. Did fine on Anastrozole for first three months before starting to notice joint problems. Within a few weeks I felt like I had aged 10 years. Extreme joint pain all over, but worse in hips, pelvis and hands. After contacting oncologist stopped drug 8 weeks ago, much better, but finger joints remain swollen. Have now been prescribed Exemestane, but afraid to start taking this as I just had Expander and fat transfer surgery 10 days ago. Anyone here switched drugs and had good results or suggestions.

Please lookup the benefits of coffee enemas. With all the drugs we have to take we really need to detox the liver. It also helps with pain and a host of other issues. I’ve been doing them every morning for over a year. 2014 bc right breast. 2.8 ,cm. No lymph nodes involvement. Clear margins. 4 rounds of chemo. Complete mastectomy. I choose. Reconstruction. I was put on anastrazole for 5 years. No issues at all until recently starting with hand pain. Trigger finger. Back pain. Pelvic pain. Leg pain muscle pain. Over the counter pain meds working so far but pain keeps me hobbling a lot. Coffee enemas are important part of treatment. Do yourselves,a favor. Research it. It takes some getting used to. Difficult at first. But gets easier and easier. I will continue taking the little white pill as long as I can. I have a good friend that is stage 4. Not estrogen positive. She said she wished to God she could take the pill and be reassured . But she can’t.Please weigh you options carefully. God bless all

Coffee enemas. Research it!

I’m due to start taking this next week and after reading this forum I am absolutely dreading it! Is the pain 24/7?? It must be hideous if people are resorting to putting coffee up their bum!! I’m only 38!! Will I be able to go back to work full-time? I’m a legal secretary and due back in March … will the pain consume me the whole time??? I’m petrified!

hi emma,
Sorry to see how you’re feeling, its always so anxiety provoking to read about issues with treatment, but understandably these will be posted.
I’m not on anastrazole, so cant comment, but your team will support you with any side effect issues.
btw, I personally wouldn’t worry about coffee enemas!
ann x

Thank you Brenda and Ann. I’m suffering with anxiety at mo so having a tendancy to overthink and get upset at mo. Hopefully once anti anxiety meds have kicked in I’ll be able to think rationally about taking the meds next week and the benefits of it rather than thinking the worst about it before I’ve even started x

I am 49 and have had terrible pain due to the anastrozole , i am now on amitriptline along with strong cocodamol which has improved things, however as its already been said those who have no problems dont generally post and i have got together with a group of bc ladies today and a couple who have beenon AI for a number of years have no problems xx

Lena I’m starting in January too-next week.Have come down with a cold and bad chest which I could do without.I’m on anastroxole too and just have a few more hot flushes and loose bowels when I started it but that’s more or less cleared up now.

Hello again Lena Mary! I’m sorry to hear you had problems after your ops, I thought you’d be following on straight after me in Exeter. I hope you now have a smoother experience x

Thank you for your positivity ladies.
Lena Mary, I start rads in January too (10th) … in Exeter! Perhaps our paths will cross. My appointments are late afternoon x

Happy New Year to you all. Emma hello to another Exeter woman! I’m sure you’ve found your way to FORCE already but if not, get yourself over there and on to the Auricular acupuncture course - a wonderful group and the treatment has been incredibly effective. I still get hot flushes, but the intensity and frequency are so reduced. I’ve booked a private session with the therapist before I head back to work in a couple of weeks. I’m also worried about fatigue and managing my job. There is also a fatigue Physio programme (again through FORCE), which I start next week, which will hopefully have a good effect. Good luck x

Happy New Year to you all.
Yes thank you Janey2, I’ve been to Force and had 5 massages … saving my 6th for a month after radiotherapy I’ve decided. I’m also hoping to go to the art class on a Thurs afternoon until I’m due to go back to work. Ive enquired about acupuncture so hopefully will hear soon regarding when I can start. Do you ever go to the relaxation sessions on a Wed? I did over the summer during chemo and may go back during radiotherapy.
Well Brenda, you were so right … took my first pill this morning and nothing awful happened! Didn’t spontaneously self combust as I thought may happen (such a wild imagination!). I’ve been for a 9 mile walk this morning and feel fine! I know I may still get side effects obviously but don’t feel so nervous!!xx

Will do, thanks Brenda x

Emma I’ve saved 2 reflexology sessions for when I get back to work. They’ve also said I can have my lunch break there when working nearby. It’s been a real haven for me and my partner. I haven’t booked on other groups but I met someone who did the FORCE moving on group and they thought it well worth booking. I don’t think I can fit them in with work though. I did do the look Good Feel Better session, which was a real treat, although I’ve had to hide the make up goodies from the girls at home! I did have one session of reflexology straight after my last radiotherapy and it was perfect timing. X

Lovely to have two reflexology treatments to look forward to. I’m def hoping to do a moving on course! Really think I’ll benefit from that. I’ve also enquired about the Look Good Feel Better session so will hopefully do that soon. I hope your return to work goes well …settle in and don’t try and do too much too soon xx

Thanks Emma. I had my private acupuncture session today and floated out of the therapy centre! I’m going to book again for when I’m back at work, along with the reflexology. Hopefully my colleagues won’t recognise me I shall be so relaxed! X

Thank you Lena Mary. I’m definitely getting there other than a blooming cold! As you live a bit away from the hospital, I wondered if they’d discussed staying in Exeter? Some people I met were put up at the hospital during treatment.