PAIN

Am I being a wimp or what, I am still in considerable pain from my masectomy,
I am three weeks post op but am still having to take a full whack of pain killers, pain across scar like burning, although where I had snb done is now okay, this burningmakes it almost impossible to move at times and is waring me down, any suggestions I am seeing my gp on monday.

Heather

Hi Heather, I Had a double mastectomy 5wks ago and am still on a lot of pain meds. I have had a few setback with mine though.

Are you in contact with your breast care nurse? I have bombarded my nurse with calls, texts and visits to hospital. I have had to have fluid asperated almost every week since my op. I have had a really bad infection on one side and am still recovering from it.

I would keep up with your meds. What meds are you taking? Are you moving around a lot and doing your exercises? I would keep your exercises going, I know you may not feel like it… But it is worth it in the long run.

Sorry there is not much more i can say. Good Luck with your GP on monday, If you are worried is it worth you calling the hospital ward to chat with someone?

Tracey

hi Heather, i had a full mastectomy and recon, but its the scaring under my armpit (from having lymphs removed) that i have the most pain with and thats over three months ago now, you’re still very new to this, and its major surgery, just takes a bit of time to heal, make sure you get plenty of rest and listen to your body

hope you feel better soon

Alisonxxxxxx

HI girls

Thanks for your comments, I will also contact my breast nurse on monday as well

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Heather

Hi All

Been to gp today and he has changed my tablets, he says that my ribs are very bruised and that is the main problem, he has put me on a slow release morphine tablet for two weeks and then he will review the situations, he says it can take six to eight weeks for bruising to come out from ribs, has anyone else had this when having a mast. I am only a 36a cup and they said that dcis was very close to chest muscles, so I assume that didnt help

Heather

I am still taking my pain relief of tramadol 50mgs with paracetamol together. I was at hospital today due to having an infection last week. They did an ultrasound scan, aspirated 40mls off and sent me for blood tests as they not happy that I am very pale, feeling faint and very tired all time.

What tablets did doctor give you?

I too am in pain with ribs, and where they left a little extra skin reasy for reconstruction in a few months time. I were 38H cup, so have very big scars on either side.

Glad your doctors has given you stronger pain relief, don’t suffer, you have suffered enough. As my consultant breast nurse told me don’t be a martyr at end of day it is only you that is going to be in pain.

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I have been given mst continous tabs by my gp, to take 1 every twelve hours, plus paracetamol 4hourly and 50mg of amyitriptline to take at night, that should sort out all my problems with pain. Have had my appt to see oncologist on monday for rad planning. So hopefully will be able to keep my arm up long enough. Have not had a problem with fluid, but tramodol made me very poorly which is why they had to take me off it. It lowered my blood pressure so much, that they had to elevate my bed in the hospital, and my head felt like cotton wool, as if it wasn’t attached to my body, which I gather is rather like feeling faint, glad I was still in the hospital when that happened. Not having a reconstruction as I don’t like the idea of such a long op, and as I am 53 and in a strong relationship, and talked it over with all my family, who said that it was my decision and they would be happy with whatever I was happy with. How long until your recon and what other treatment are you having?

Take care

Heather

Hi Heather,

I will have the becker implants, but am on waiting list to have them done. It could be 3-9months they said.

I am not on anyother treatment, 1 because it was preventative surgery and 2 because they took all tissue away, when they tested it, they saw a few cysts but that was all. They said that even if they had found cancer there there wouldn’t be abything they would do, as they had taken all tissue away.

Re- The meds, maybe I should ask for something different. Although 1 breast nurse mentioned i should be nearly off the pain relief now. YEAH I don’t think so… Guess she wont know what it is like until she has had something similar done.
Although I have not taken any meds today, which is okay at present. But i do think that my infection has still not gone. Breast area is easy to touvh now, but it is still red.

Hope all goes well with your treatment Keep up your exercises too.

Take Care

Tracey

Hi Tracey

I was told at dx that I had dcis, and the only option was masectomy as it was widespread, and at that time they said I would not need any other treatment, and that I could have immediate reconstruction, when I went for my check up and results 10 days later, I was told that I would need rads as the dcis was close to my chest wall and they wanted to make sure that everything was gone, so I wonder now if I had opted for recon whether I would have woken up with recon or not, as it seems if you are to have a rads you have to wait for recon, don’t know a lot about recon as it was not what I wanted, but it does make you wonder, about what they tell you. Still I see the oncologist with an unpronounable name on monday so will have list of questions for him/her so I shall be quite a time also oh is coming to make sure I remeber everything I want to know.

Take care
Heather

Thats good to have a list of questions, as I went to see my nurse on monday and totally forgot to ask so many questions.

I had to have blood test etc as she was a little concerned of my colour etc… All clear no aneamia. I have been told to increase my pain relief ny my nurse today, I were in tears on phone to her… Should i still be feeling a lot of pain after 6weeks? She told me don’t under-estimate myself, I have had a huge operation, not just one but both breasts removed…

I am not sure, do you think i should chabge pain relief? At present am taking tramadol (zydol) and paracetamol combined…Maybe should chat to doctor and see what he says.

Take Care Heather and Good luck on Monday

Tracey
xxx

Hi Tracey

I dont think it would hurt to speak to the dr and see what he thinks, all I can say is that since my change in pain killers my life has felt somewhat like living, I feel that in this day and age no one should have to suffer unduly and everyones pain thresehold is different, I was told by my gp that a mast is major surgery, so you having a double must be even worse, I am only four weeks post op today, but I must say since the change of tabs I have been able to all the exercises and found that even sleeping has been easier, which helps no end. If you can get a few good hours of sleep you feel better, I have to see him again in two weeks for a reveiw in tabs, so I imagine he will want to cut them down, so we will just wait and see.

Take care will let you know how I get on, on monday

Heather

Hi Heather

How did you get on with your doctors?

I have now been prescribed a few days worth of sleeping tablets to kick my body back into routine, have not been sleeping for the last 4-5 days and my breast nurse consultant told me to get some and stilltake pain relief due to infections i have had etc.

Hope everything is ok with you

Take Care

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Went to see oncologist on monday, thought I was going for planning as well, but he said that I was not healed enough for them to do, so now I have to go on 23rd Nov. Then on weds one end of my scar went all red and yellow and swelled so of to gp who put me on anti biotics, and then promptly signed me off work until next year, so I came out a bit stunned as I had hoped to work while having rads, and he said he wouldn,t consider it as I have a job that involves quite a bit of lifting.

Glad to hear your doc has given you some sleeping tabs, I always think you can cope much better if you have had some kip

Take care

Heather

Hi Heather

What a pain, that you can’t start rads yet… But it is good to know your doctors is taking well care of you!

So sorry to hear your having problems, and on anti-biotics. I can understand what your going through to a certain extent.

I was signed off from my doctor to until at least after christmas, as my line of work, has a lot of lifting, and round the clock work most times.

I have another prostesis fitting tomorrow, as they had to order larger ones.

Hope all goes well for you, and do keep in touch, and posted and what happens tc.

Take care

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Swelling and infection responding well to anti-biotics, thank goodness. Feeling more like a human being.

I go to get my prothesis on thursday, daughter is coming with me instead of other half, coz then I know I will get truthful answer as to whether it looks right or not. He’ll get fed up and say yes, whether it does or not and he admitted as much.

Take care and keep in touch

Heather

Hi Heather

Would be interesting to know which make, size etc you have…

I go today for my final protesis, they sent me home with ones that are slightly smaller, so that i can get used to wearing them.

Good luck with your fitting on Thursday, definetly a good idea to take your daughter, I had no-one to go with me so had to rely on the breast nurse and my own judgement.

Keep in touch

Tracey