Painful lumps

I am at college and have recently finished a module on Statistics for Science Research.

One of the first things the tutor told us is - “statistics” - “probablity” - “what are the chances of…” - is what Doctors use to diagnose patients - I was quite shocked - but she is right.

The probability of someone under 50 getting breast cancer is less likely than someone over 50 - so Doctors “know” it is less likely so probably dimiss it in some cases.

They need some new Maths lessons, just becuase it is less likely doesn’t mean “not likely at all” !! Also, figures change each year, so these statistics are probably out-of-date by now too.

Yes, if anyone can raise awareness to GP’s on this subject, it would be most necessary!!

Best wishes

Thanks dude for highlighting the problem. yes any lump painful and present in breast should not be ignored that have connectivity with breast cancer. Try to stay updated by regular visiting your doctor.

I have read this thread with interest and certainly through parted fingers at times.

My lump has been dealt with and removed, although that was a battle, as I do believe that changes and lumps that are coming in, are something to be looked at.

I have a good GP, who has done all she can for me, in that she has had me in on her lunchbreak, I do think it is down to the pound notes. My recent experience with this, has been one long song and dance…

I went back to the clinic on Monday, with a second lump. The consultant sent me to radiology, where the clinical director stated "It looks like fat necrosis,is not a cancerous process from what I can see’ go back downstairs and they will FNA you for confirmation. He wrote in his report, and I have seen it, “Unequivocally benign, with highly unusual edges” I went back down to my consultant who stated this, and no need for a FNA to completely check.

So now, am left with this, spoken with my GP who has said “You’re worrying too much” and that I should leave it all for six months, till follow up. I can’t help but feel unreassured, I have had pain and more pain for some time now, and this new mass, is large. I don’t think it is, however, I do think that all was not ruled out.